Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I prevent getting calls from number that are not in my address book?

Hi,

How can I prevent getting calls from numbers that are not in my address book?

I would like to allow only calls from people I have already stored in my address book... all other calls are to be blocked (i.e., the phone should no ring for unknown numbers, which are all numbers not associated with any contact in the address book).

Thank you for any idea

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 12:10 AM

Hi btroxell!

Yeah well that you cannot prevent someone else to call you is true, but it is not really what I am aiming: My aim would be to surpress the call on MY side of the connection, not on THEIR side of the connection. That is, my iPhone should not show any sign of the call (esp. not ring) when a caller tries to connect to me without submitting his/her callerID. It is possible to do. One way would be to set use phone setting or apps (on my side). I have used such in app in the past (iBlacklist) and it surpressed all unknown calls without a trace – but it requires a jailbroken iPhone... So I am looking for other ways to get the same result?
Daniel

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2017 12:10 AM in response to btroxell

Hi btroxell!

Yeah well that you cannot prevent someone else to call you is true, but it is not really what I am aiming: My aim would be to surpress the call on MY side of the connection, not on THEIR side of the connection. That is, my iPhone should not show any sign of the call (esp. not ring) when a caller tries to connect to me without submitting his/her callerID. It is possible to do. One way would be to set use phone setting or apps (on my side). I have used such in app in the past (iBlacklist) and it surpressed all unknown calls without a trace – but it requires a jailbroken iPhone... So I am looking for other ways to get the same result?
Daniel

Jul 27, 2017 12:39 AM in response to LeoiPhone

Agreed.

The other two posters' logic is flawed to me. You are under no legal or ethical obligation to receive unknown calls on your (private) mobile phone and then having to "manually evaluate the incoming source". By counterexample: If it was a legal or ethical obligation to receive unknown calls, then you would equally "have to have a mobile phone", "not sleep so you can pick up at any time" and "never switch off your mobile phone" (I put this in to show that this view is just unacceptable as a general expectation or requirement – of course, people are most welcome to take unknown calls if they so wish, but they cannot make this a general expectation or requirement for others!)

I have never picked up unknown calls in 20 years of mobile phone use and will never pick up unknown calls. This could well be automated. (I am the OP)

How can I prevent getting calls from number that are not in my address book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.