Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" late 2013 iMac doesn't have slot to play cd/dvd?

I want to watch dvd tutorials from Adobe books but my computer doesn't have the slot to load a cd/dvd? What should I do?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), desktop iMac

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 8:46 PM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2013 8:55 PM in response to rhiannazz

a) buy the Apple USB Bus-powered SuperDrive. Its an OK drive. Works with some models of Macs. Bus powered only. Does the job.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive?fnode=5f

b) Buy an external DVD drive with an external Power supply. These can be desktop type drives (faster and more robust) or laptop type drives. You may get more of what you want. USB is fine for Interface, as the data rate is not actually very high. You can get FireWire if you prefer.

Oct 28, 2013 4:28 AM in response to rhiannazz

Buy any brand External DVD drive that connect by USB port and it will work with your new Mac computer. It does not have to an Apple superdrive and I suggest it not be the Apple superdrive.

Apple Superdrive costs $80 and only works on Mac computer that origionally did not come with a built in DVD drive.

Most any other brand Tray Load external DVD drive costs about $30 and works with ALL Computers, Mac (Any model/type/design) or Windows PC.

Feb 17, 2014 6:51 AM in response to LowLuster

I too thought this was rather strange but then I started thinking that this is probably a deliberate move by Apple. If you think about it, they don't want you to create your music lists and put them onto a CD, they want you to download your music onto one of their iPods.CD players will become absolute in the not too distant future because MP 4 will take over. The same with videos, they can be put onto iPods as well. The only downside is that if I want to add my existing CD collection to iTunes I do need some way of running the CD.

It's easier to download a computer program, whether that be software to run a trackball mouse, or photo shop why take up space storing programs on CD At home where they can easily get lost?

27" late 2013 iMac doesn't have slot to play cd/dvd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.