Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with OS X Lion install in Recvoery mode

Hi Guys,

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13", was running on OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Recently downloaded OS X Mavericks and tried to install it without backing up first (I know, it was a dumb idea).

Then the installation found a disk error and failed. So I was stuck in OS X utilities, unable to install Mavericks.

In the end I managed to unmount my main harddrive and erase the disk, fixing the error message.

However, I now have no OS X Snow Leopard install DVD with me, or have I purchased OS X Lion or Mountain Lion update when it was available.

Now when I tried to reinstall my OS in disk recovery mode, it automatically wants to update me to OS X Lion, and not Mavericks, which I can't because my Apple ID is not eligible.

Since I don't have OS X Lion purchased on my Apple ID, is there anyway of installing an OS onto my Mac using Recovery Mode, without actually obtaining an install DVD or bootable USB?

It would be great if anyone can provide me with some feedback as to how I can proceed with this problem.

I'm sure other had encountered similar problems in the past.

Cheers guys.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 10:48 PM

2 replies

Oct 30, 2013 7:54 PM in response to epen018

so many people with this issue. Wondering if it is an overlooked compatibility issue. Unfortunately, many people are stuck in limbo with no operating system. I do have my data backed up, but no way to access it with no operating system, and not sure how to install an operating system at this point. Really wishing I stuck with my previous operating system, things were running just fine.

I do have a snow leopard dvd but even when i insert it there is no way to install. Anyone know how i can access the installation process?

Oct 30, 2013 8:04 PM in response to soneil957

Hi there,

I managed to fix this problem:

1. I backed up my data into an external HDD using Disk Utilities, create image. (reformate hdd if necessary)

2. Unmounted the main drive on my Macbook and erased everything and reformated it, to fix the disk error message.

3. Restart, then boot with either an install DVD or a bootable USB I created using powerISO on my PC.

To choose the dvd or usb as the boot drive, either click the Apple icon and click startup disk, or restart your computer and hold 'option' key to boot up using your installation disk/USB.

Bottom line, as long as you have an OS X installation dvd or USB you should be able to do a clean install of your Macbook, without needing to download OS X Lion in Recovery mode.

Hope this helps.

Problem with OS X Lion install in Recvoery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.