Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to get the old design to Top Sites back?

My iMac just updated to the newest Safari, and I cannot stand the new design of the Top Sites opening page. It looks like a Windows program, not something running on my Apple. I would go so far as to say I loathe it and will try everything I can , even uninstalling Safari and installing an older version if possible to get my old Top Sites design back.

I completely understand that for a laptop, the new design is built to save battery life, but for a desk top like mine, it just looks bad. I don't mean to be so negative, I LOVE my iMac, and I love osX and all the new versions...but I just cannot take this new flat boring design to Top Sites.

Please give desk top users the option to bring back the beveled design Apple.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2013 11:36 PM

8 replies

Oct 28, 2013 8:54 PM in response to andyBall_uk

This is sad. Is it possible that Apple would add a feature to alter the look of Top Sites, say as an update to this new Safari, so that the user can choose or customize the look to go back to that sweet design?

I can't stand my top sites now. Anyone know of any other kind of solution? Different web browser?

It shouldn't bother me this much, but asthetically it's horrible to view...It's like having a beautfully styled 60's-70's era Mustang and then being forced to drive the same vehicle underpinings with the Fox Body Mustang from the 80's!!

Nov 5, 2013 8:33 AM in response to REKK10

I completely agree, on Safari and the 80's mustang. Right now I can't decide which looks worse. It's amazing that apple thinks this is an improvement. It not only redefines ugly, it's actually more difficult to read and is less functional with no cursor highlight. Come on Apple, get real. I look forward to when they get past this hyper-minimalist phase and realize that a little reflection and depth goes a long way.

Nov 9, 2013 9:02 AM in response to REKK10

I totally agree, it's reeeally ugly and very strange to go backwards in design like this, it actually looks like a mistake or bug or as you said, a Windows design but even that would be very old Windows! Do you think it really was done to save memory and or speed or something?

My laptop still has old version but iMac has new and seeing the two side by side is quite the sight. The "new" design looks like some very old OS from 20 years ago and the old one looks modern and "easy on the eyes" as we expect from Apple in 2013. How is that possible?? These kinds of backwards changes just leave me totally perplexed.

Yes, I filled out feedback form, I always do with these occasional bad designs that Apple makes sometimes, hopefully it helps. Actually, it DOES help me to vent here too, misery loves company... lol... but feedback form does help more.

btw, I've owned nothing but Apple since my first computer around 1996 and love them but they make mistakes too.

Is there any way to get the old design to Top Sites back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.