Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera turns off during Facetime when going fullscreen in Mavericks

Facetime works fine in Mavericks until I go fullscreen, then my green camera light turns off and my video no longer sends to the other person. I can still see and hear them.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 1:14 AM

12 replies

Nov 9, 2013 3:24 AM in response to EZ Jim

Before I had a chance to pursue a fix, my problem worsened and now neither my facetime or imessage work at all. They will appear to call / send a message but it will always fail in the end.

People have discussed my new problem in the forums and stated that reinstalling the os does not help. The only thing suggested is for serial key errors but my serial key is not missing.

Nov 10, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Feelix

Feelix wrote:

Before I had a chance to pursue a fix, my problem worsened and now neither my facetime or imessage work at all. They will appear to call / send a message but it will always fail in the end...

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Such problems can be caused by a wide variety of problems including software,your Mac's hardware, your internet connection or service, or even problems at the other end of the connection you are attempting.

Use FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime to troubleshoot the problem. Then you will know what issue(s) you must correct for proper performance. Once FT is working, you can see if its solution has fixed your trouble with iMessages.

iMessages is an iOS app that is not part of your Mac. However, when your Mac is working and your Mac's Messages > Preferences... > Accounts are properly configured, your Mac's Messages app can send and receive text messages to and from the iMessages app on iOS devices.

If you get your Mac's FT working, but the iOS user(s) iMessages problems continue, you can troubleshoot using relevant articles from this search of Apple Support Articles. Something there should help you narrow down the possible problems you must investigate and correct for proper iOS iMessage function and interaction with your Mac's Messages.

Feelix wrote: ... People have discussed my new problem in the forums and stated that reinstalling the os does not help. The only thing suggested is for serial key errors but my serial key is not missing.

I do not understand the "serial key errors" context. However, if you continue to believe that your troubles are caused by "serial key errors", I suggest you close this topic and pursue resolution in the other forums to which you refer. I and others who may have suggestions relevant to the circumstances you describe here will watch for your status update.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9

Nov 16, 2013 7:48 AM in response to EZ Jim

EZ Jim wrote:

Use FaceTime for Mac: Troubleshooting FaceTime to troubleshoot the problem. Then you will know what issue(s) you must correct for proper performance. Once FT is working, you can see if its solution has fixed your trouble with iMessages.

My Facetime is activated and there does not appear to be any problem! I am confident that there are no problems with my network or the other end as I am able to Facetime perfectly on my iphone.

I dont think that it is a serial key error, which means there must be another problem.

I did try my mac in safe boot and the messages app weirdly started sending messages successfully, however i'm dont think that the Facetime was successfully making calls.

Nov 16, 2013 11:43 AM in response to Feelix

Feelix wrote: ... My Facetime is activated and there does not appear to be any problem!

... however i'm dont think that the Facetime was successfully making calls.

Although I don't understand why you dont think that the Facetime wassuccessfully making calls if there does not appear to be any problem, I am pleased to read that all is well for you now.

Well done on your fix!

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.9

Nov 18, 2013 9:09 AM in response to EZ Jim

Sorry, I dont think I was clear... both Facetime and messages have always been activated. When I say it 'appears' to be working, I mean that it rings (or pretends to ring) for about a minute until it then comes up with the message connection failed. The messages behave similarly, they look as though they have sent and then I get an error message after several minutes.

The messages did work perfectly in safe boot mode. But I could not check the Facetime properly as my flatmate was not at home so I could not ensure he did indeed have a connection his end.

Feb 12, 2014 7:13 PM in response to holstermac

I tried what was suggested and it DID NOT fix my problem. This problem began with the update to Mavericks. I removed the facetime cert and password from Keychain access. I turned FT off and then on again. I signed back in. Went to full screen and then the camera showed "PAUSED" on the remote screen as my green light turned off. Clearly this is a problem caused from the Mavericks upgrade. Facetime still works and has total functionality -- EXCEPT I cannot go FULL SCREEN.

A work-around in landscape mode is to stretch the screen to maximum window.

I'd appreciate any other users suggestions -- or will await an Apple fix.

Camera turns off during Facetime when going fullscreen in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.