Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am looking to buy an external hard drive for my maced to time machine.

I am looking an external hard drive for my mac and I do see one in PC world that is compatible with time machine. I do not want it connected to time machine and wonder if I can use it without connecting.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 2:44 AM

In my view you need to have one external drive connected to Time Machine all the time in order to receive the true benefits it can give. Do not use your internal HD for this purpose.

Having said that, to double up on back ups is a very practical thing to do. I would advise you get a portable HD, say 1TB, from WD or the like, back up your system, disconnect, then top up by connecting it every couple of months or so.

You can then store the portable away from the machine, perhaps with a trusted relative, so adding safe keeping against fire, theft or power disasters

Message was edited by: seventy one

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2013 2:44 AM in response to emilyfromlurgan

In my view you need to have one external drive connected to Time Machine all the time in order to receive the true benefits it can give. Do not use your internal HD for this purpose.

Having said that, to double up on back ups is a very practical thing to do. I would advise you get a portable HD, say 1TB, from WD or the like, back up your system, disconnect, then top up by connecting it every couple of months or so.

You can then store the portable away from the machine, perhaps with a trusted relative, so adding safe keeping against fire, theft or power disasters

Message was edited by: seventy one

I am looking to buy an external hard drive for my maced to time machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.