Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule - Internal disk need repair message

Hey.

Got TC -2 TB version with latest firmware.

was used to be my media server.....formally 👿

now it's just white box...

suddenly one night , wasnt able to connect to TC, on check green light was active..

but wasnt communicating and internet was down.

did restart- power down and up.

after that HDD not showing in finder window at all, and airport shows "internal disk need repair" tried few things but no luck

any idea to recover datat, how reliable is diskwarrior, data recovery softwares. can they see unmounted disk at all????

help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 2:59 AM

12 replies

Oct 28, 2013 3:59 AM in response to RazRut

Which gen is your TC? A1409 for example.. on the base.

Or is it the tall AC version.

Internal disk needs repair depends on version.

If you have a Gen4 there is a good chance the recovery software will work.. data rescue 3 has a trial download where you can check what is recoverable.. but you need to buy the license to actually recover.. it has done a good job.. but it depends utterly on what the fault is.

You must physically remove the disk from the TC and place in a holder, USB, FW800 etc.. to connect to the computer.. it cannot be recovered whilst inside the TC.

Oct 28, 2013 4:10 AM in response to RazRut

Yes, it is highly probable it will.. but YMMV.. the actual failure of the TC is not revealed .. but the general problem is the TC disk simply loses its format.. the files are all there.. but are now inaccessible without using a recovery tool.

I would not bother with TM though.. it is so easily corrupted.. but if you copied files to the TC.. and were very naughty and deleted them from your computer.. so you had no backup.. tut tut. .. then recovery is possible.

Oct 28, 2013 1:15 PM in response to RazRut

Does the drive spin up? You can easily feel it.

You cannot use self powered for a desktop drive.

You should see at least the two small partitions that are created for Apple to place TC info.. APswap and APconfig. If nothing is available and the disk is spinning are you sure the USB cable is new enough to handle a 2TB drive..most are.. it is 3TB where you run into trouble.

No luck well the disk is dead. You can send it to a data recovery centre if you have a lazy $1000 .. as you won't get much change from that.

Nov 11, 2013 12:46 PM in response to ahmedyounes

All hard disks have stated MTBF.. Mean Time Between Failures.. but that is Mean ie average.. some disks go early and some go seemly forever.. but 50% of the disks will be dead at the MTBF point.

A TC that is only 7 months old is under warranty.. Apple will replace the TC for you. They will not recover data.

If you have data on the TC it should only be Time Machine backups which means they are not important if you immediately make a new backup to another target disk. If you copied files to the TC without making backup you are very naughty.. you broke the rules.. that you never ever trust files to a single location. Now you have to pull apart your TC voiding the warranty (although if you do it carefully who is to know).. remove the hard disk and attempt recovery.. !! It is usually a simple loss of format.. tools like mentioned above can fix that and recover the files.. if not you send the drive to a data recovery centre where your data is mangled and recovered as best as they can do.. at a cost of around.. $500-1000 depending on size and problems.. get a quote first.

Nov 22, 2013 12:06 AM in response to ahmedyounes

Yes, if the drive has lost format then an erase is really a reformat of the drive.. but you lose everything.

That is why the TC is only a target for Time Machine.. You should never use it as a file store without serious consideration of backup.. which the TC is unable to help you with and nor can Time Machine.

Be careful because the drive is already showing a weakness.. if it happens again return it before warranty runs out.

Jan 19, 2014 12:26 PM in response to RazRut

I have had this happen a bunch of times. Here is the issue

I was downloading an mp3 thru wifi. Once it finished, it was placing ing back into my itunes library thru the wifi again.... Wifi signal dropped. Once I rebooted the TC...data disc instantly has a mismatch on directory and says it needs repair.

This is unacceptable. Having to reformat the drive every time the directory goes bad?

Anyone want to buy a time capsule? I am done with this nonsense. Epic fail apple. Create a utility program

Time Capsule - Internal disk need repair message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.