Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks download -PDF files are blank and some won't download

Hi all,

I am having great difficulty in being able to open PDF files after downloading mavericks, the ones that do download, show up blank. After changing the default from preview, to adobe pdf, it doesn't download. An 'error' message comes up, and sometimes says the file is damaged. Anyone know how to rectify this?

Thanks

iMac

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:52 AM

9 replies

Oct 29, 2013 11:00 PM in response to mavericks123

I'm having similar problems with most PDF files. Sometimes the files download, but the images contained therein are corrupted, or pixilated. On other occasions the PDF files open to a blank screen, but with the magnify +, _, or download button visible, although you can't download, or view the file.

Upon resizing the file, the application quits, or an error message appears suggesting that the page will be reloaded, resulting in an Apple error report box being generated on the screen. This also occurs when you attempt to re size your blank PDF file in an attempt to reload it.

On the times where the PDF download does work, it takes about five minutes for the PDF files to successfully appear. Whether this is a symptom of the operating system in general, or not, I have found that the spinning beach ball is appearing on my screen far too often now that I am running OSX Mavericks, than with Mountain Lion.

Nov 2, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Raptor4

I, too, am having an issue with pixilation. I can download pdf files no problem, but if I leave them open they start to pixilate, as do all the website pages and the tabs and website addresses. It is okay now, with just 2 tabs open, but was doing it everywhere when I had quite a few open. There is also pixilation all across the bottom of the screen but behind the dock area. And I have the problem with the magnification, too. It seems to randomly magnifiy, or maybe it's just really sensitive to touch.

Nov 3, 2013 5:22 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX,

I have downloaded the Adobe Reader update as suggested, and it would appear that the PDF problems for the particular documents have gone away for now. I will monitor the situation, and report back to this forum if the earlier problem continues.

Accordingly as other users have posted on similar threads relating to the same problem, this [former] PDF download issue with OSX Mavericks does not appear to be an issue with Firefox, or Chrome browsers, in that you can download the PDF without issue.

Either way I'm sure that other users will choose the best browser for their particular needs, but one would hope that these issues could be sorted out before the new software is available from the App store.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be an immediate solution for Western Digital drives for those upgrading to Mavericks, but I have not connected mine since the download of the OS. In the interim the less high tech method of multiple CDR disc back discs, will have to do if I need a particular file while the issue is addressed.

Nov 4, 2013 3:52 PM in response to Raptor4

OK, I think I wrote about the solution to my problem too soon.

The new version of Adobe Reader for Mavericks appears to assist with the viewing of existing PDF documents that you have already downloaded, and offers improved options to manipulate, or edit these documents, although the issue of downloading a new PDF document from a web site remains.

In addition to my earlier comment, my experience upon downloading a PDF with the new Adobe Reader in Safari 7 is that the web address appears in Safari, with the browser appearing to load your file as the blue beam moves from the left to the right. On other occasions the web sites visited indicate that Adobe Reader is blocked from this site, with a grey message box appearing in the centre of the screen, which is accompanied by an arrow that points to the right.

If you click on the message box, an additional loading message box is generated towards the bottom of the browser, indicating the size of the PDF, and it's downloading status. This reflects the blue beam that appears in the web address field that indicates when new pages download, or the PDF in question, but the files continue to take a very long period of time to download, if at all.

I am keen to keep using Safari 7 in Mavericks, but this is very annoying, particularly if you are a time poor higher degree student who is trying to complete a research dissertation. Almost every academic document, or scientific paper viewed is available in a PDF format, and no doubt most users can see that this issue creates additional problems if you need two, or three web browsers to download the specific paper you are wishing to read.

Is there a easier solution ? I appreciate that Safari 7 offers improved security from Internet nasties, but this new browser is preventing me from completing my work. Would it be possible to return to an earlier version of Safari, without wiping one's hard drive ?

Apr 13, 2014 8:23 AM in response to mavericks123

Ok, so I'm having the same issues that many of the users above are having. I'm currently using OS 10.9.2, running Safari 7.0.3 and Adobe Reader 11.0.06. Initially I had two things happening.

1) As with Raptor above I kept getting a message that Adobe reader was blocked from accessing this site. I'd have to click on the arrow to get the page to load, and it could be very sluggish. This did not feel like it was "Just working", in fact it felt very much like using clunky old Windows Internet Explorer. It felt more like a retrograde browser than an improved one. However, I digress, I did find that I was able to disable this function through the safari options. With that out of the way, I went on to problem two, which still exists.

2) Whenever I try to save a pdf to my desktop and then proceed to open it, I get a message to the effect that the file is empty(when I try to open it with preview) or that it is corrupted(when I use Reader). Regardless of the method I use to save the file, "export as pdf", the file is not one which I can open. if I try to "print", then save it as a pdf from there I do get a file that I can open, but it is blank. If I just try to print the file itself using the "file", "print" functions from the menu bar, what I get is a blank page from my pinter. Lastly, if on the page in safari, I hover over the bottom of the pdf itself to bring up the pop up menu of options, and I selct the print button, the pdf prints successfully. Additionally, if I use the save to disk icon in the same pop up menu, the pdf saves and when I open it, it opens properly and all the content is there.

If someone could explain what is happening here and whether or not they know of a solution, I'd very much apprciate it. Apple, hopefully you too monitor this site, and have read my lowly little posting and are knitting your eyebrows in consternation wondering what it is you can do about this issue as I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing it.

As a last point of interest, if I use Mozzilla firefox I have no issues at all saving the PDF.

Mavericks download -PDF files are blank and some won't download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.