Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail merge in new Pages

I cannot find the Merge command in the latest version of Pages.

I want to print a document to a list of names in Numbers.

Can this be done now?

Thanks

Mark

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2.3 i5 with 250GB SSD 1TB HDD

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 5:27 AM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2013 9:24 AM in response to MarcRDF

There is a temporary solution if you don't mind going back to Pages '09 with your new Pages 5 document. Pages 5.0 gives you a choice export your Pages 5 document as "Pages '09". Export as "Pages '09" (make sure to label it as created for merging) and then open in previous version of Pages. Updating to Pages 5 did not destroy your previous 4.3 version. It's in your apps!

Now! If you were using a Numbers spreadsheet for your data source, and have also upgraded to the newer version on Numbers, you can follow the same workflow. You will have to export your spreadsheet as Numbers '09 and use that as your merge source. SO you will have to continue to open and work with your Pages '09 and Numbers '09 documents to do your merges until Apples provides us an update containing a mail merge workflow. Ugly I know, but it will tie you over. Apple never leaves you hangin' forever.

Dec 16, 2013 1:21 PM in response to MarcRDF

The '09 programs are still in the iWork folder and this solved the problem. They should really have made this more public. So the new programs are optional.

I have also got to really like the new Pages and find it faster to use, - not all the features are available yet. But for design it's a definite improvement. I like it a lot.

Thanks for the replies

Dec 16, 2013 1:38 PM in response to MarcRDF

It has a few good points, better drawing, Object Styles and double clicking to mask images, but 'faster to use'?

I really can't see how you could say that, as so many things are removed or take multiple manual steps to get at.

Even down to one of the things that made Pages '09 so quick to assemble work, being able to drag in images into columns and have them resize automatically is gone.

I use a lot of software and can't say I have trouble with change, in fact quite enjoy it, but Pages 5 has been gutted and speeding down the freeway is not going to happen if you have to first get the car off the blocks, only to find the wheels are now square and the steering wheel is in the boot.

Peter

Dec 16, 2013 8:01 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter, I would only use either '09 or 5 occasionally to make brochures, but I found 5 more intuitive and therefore faster for me. Everyday use may be different.

The integration of the Cloud & Tablet use in Pages is a smart move by Apple for Google Apps customers like me. Pages is now what I use to create print content as I can do this on any device running Chrome. There is no other program in this space.

mail merge in new Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.