Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fixing corrupt .plist files

I'm wondering if anybody has figured this out yet:

Mavericks does some different things with .plist files, and the traditional fix of trashing the .plist that is in ~/Library/Preferences no longer works for fixing a corrupt .plist.

The .plist files are now cached, perhaps in ~/Library/Caches.

I found this page that addresses the issue: objective c - Deleting plist file does not reset app on Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks - Stack Overflow

Out of my own curiosity I tried trashing a .plist file from ~/Library/Preferences and then force quitting the cfprefsd process (mine, not root's), and then restarting, but the .plist file was not regenerated. It remained absent from ~/Library/Preferences. So I restored it from the trash.

Has anyone figured this out?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 6:50 AM

10 replies

Nov 1, 2013 6:48 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Hey Andy

I just tried this with ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist.

I moved it to the trash and then restarted. Result: desktop pictures did not reset to default, and com.apple.desktop.plist did not regenerate in ~/Library/Preferences.

Another puzzling thing is the trick I used to use to figure out which .plist file was the one for a particular app.

I would sort the .plists by date modified, and then go to the app and make a change in the app's preferences. Then the associated .plist would appear at the top of the list. Now when I make a change, this doesn't happen.

Nov 1, 2013 9:39 AM in response to arthur

It's a very good question regarding plists generally. You may have seen Apple's mention of it, although the caching seems much more agressive in Mavericks, & eg Safari requires quitting cfprefsd, or a restart (logging out/in isn't enough) for removing/replacing the plist file to have any effect, here anyway.

In 10.8 and later, the CFPreferences agent process (cfprefsd) will cache information from these files and asynchronously write to them. This means that directly modifying plist files is unlikely to have the expected results (new settings will not necessarily be read, and may even be overwritten). You should use the NSUserDefaults or CFPreferences APIs, or the defaults(1) command, to interact with the preferences system.

Jan 29, 2014 12:51 AM in response to andyBall_uk

I have the problem with Mavericks that my application folder is not showing any application or folder in it anymore, except one programm I installed lately. There is no apple.finder.plist in Library I could delete, also not the apple.finder.sidebar.plist. Using a terminal command also just brings the result no file found. Is there something I can do about this?

Thank you for any help.

I must say: Do not update on Mavericks: Pages, Numers, Finder, Cloud applications everything total bugy, nothing works anymore as it should, great mess here unfortunately.

Jan 30, 2014 4:07 AM in response to arthur

I have found that the Mavericks version of Apple Mail is using a folder:

...../Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

I had to disable this folder to get Mail to do a clean restart of Mail.

This latest version of Mail may not be using ...../Library/Preferences for its plists.

The listing of directories to clean up under Lion is given at http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/30621/how-do-i-reset-apples-mail-in-lio n-to-default-settings/119277#119277 but I couldn't start up Mail at all until I had disabled also the Containers folder.

Jun 19, 2014 8:35 AM in response to arthur

The preferences files for Mail App are located in:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

~/Library… means your local Library folder.

To see your local Library folder, press Option while clicking on the Go menu in the Finder.

The preferences files use plist extensions. For example, Accounts.plist contains settings for each of your accounts, including how each account handles Drafts and Junk.

fixing corrupt .plist files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.