Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video format for ipod classic 30gb

Hi,

I've just bought a music video from the iTunes Store, but, when I try putting it on my older click wheel 30gb Ipod Classic, iTunes tells me it wasn't copied to the Ipod because it cannot be played on the Ipod. I checked the music video's format and found out it was m4v. Could that be the source of the problem? If so, do I have to convert it to mp4 or something similar? And how do I do that?

Any advice or help?

iPod classic

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 1:12 PM

A 30GB iPod that plays video is a 5th gen iPod. NOTE: The 4th gen "classic" iPod with color display may also be 30GB, but those iPods cannot play videos.

Video format may be an issue, because the first iPod with video capability had a lower limit for video resolution. And if the video is "HD," that video is too high-res for even a new iPod classic.

NOTE: You can convert videos in iTunes using the command

menu bar -> File -> Create New Version -> Create iPod or iPhone Version

but that command is disabled for videos that use DRM (copy protection). A purchased video (such as a musiuc video) from the iTunes Store uses DRM. For purchased videso that are HD, you may be entitled to also download the SD (standard definition) version at no cost. The SD version may play on your iPod.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2013 1:12 PM in response to esw30

A 30GB iPod that plays video is a 5th gen iPod. NOTE: The 4th gen "classic" iPod with color display may also be 30GB, but those iPods cannot play videos.

Video format may be an issue, because the first iPod with video capability had a lower limit for video resolution. And if the video is "HD," that video is too high-res for even a new iPod classic.

NOTE: You can convert videos in iTunes using the command

menu bar -> File -> Create New Version -> Create iPod or iPhone Version

but that command is disabled for videos that use DRM (copy protection). A purchased video (such as a musiuc video) from the iTunes Store uses DRM. For purchased videso that are HD, you may be entitled to also download the SD (standard definition) version at no cost. The SD version may play on your iPod.

video format for ipod classic 30gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.