Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get rid of the Bookmarks/Reading List bar on the left side of browser?

I updated my safari to 6.1 and not i have this gray side bar on the left hand side that has my bookmarks and reading list, i cant seem to get rid of it! help!!

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 1:54 AM

Problem not solved - my problem is not to 'hide/show' the side-bar. Of course, I know how to do this. The problem is that, when you click on the 'book' symbol on the favourites bar, the side-bar appears on the left, which is completely useless. In previous versions a screen as the one when clicking on 'edit bookmarks' appears, which is much more useful, as one has the full folder structure and the URL etc. visible.

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2013 1:54 AM in response to lizard736

Problem not solved - my problem is not to 'hide/show' the side-bar. Of course, I know how to do this. The problem is that, when you click on the 'book' symbol on the favourites bar, the side-bar appears on the left, which is completely useless. In previous versions a screen as the one when clicking on 'edit bookmarks' appears, which is much more useful, as one has the full folder structure and the URL etc. visible.

Jul 26, 2017 9:20 AM in response to CCRUZJ93

While having the internet browser open, click on the following in the menu bar:

>Safari

>Preferences

>General

>New windows open with

>Drop down and select "Homepage" or something other than Favorites

>New tabs open with

>Drop down and select "Homepage" or something other than Favorites

I had to figure it out on my own, because some of comments here were not helpful at all.

Nov 27, 2013 11:01 PM in response to CCRUZJ93

Again, this is not the answer to the question. The problem is that the side-bar pops up, when one clicks on the 'book' symbol. In previous versions of Safari, a list with the bookmarks appeared (just like when you select 'edit bookmarks') and I would like to have this feature again ... The side-bar is useless, because it is either too narrow to see the bookmarks or too wide and covers half of the screen - and it does not disappear automatically, when one clicks on a bookmark.

In other words, more clicks are needed in the new version of Safari to achieve the same as before. Not very efficient.

Jan 2, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Sk424

It is quite amazing that people simply do not seem to understand the problem (or I am not clear in my description), but all answers were about showing/hiding the bookmarks side-bar, which is trivial.

However, my question was how to prevent(!) the bookmarks side bar opening popping up and have instead the bookmarks list full-screen as it opened in previous versions of the MacOS.

Jan 2, 2014 2:33 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

"So don't click the book symbol."

Thanks for this helpful advice ! The point is that I now need three clicks (by going to the bookmarks menu bar) to do what in the past could be done with one click. In addition, I am used to click on the 'book' symbol and have to retrain myself not to do so.

In addition it is very annoying that software programmers force us to re-programme our habits all the time by changing the way how things work. I wonder, whether there is a rational explanation for this efficiency-degrading behaviour ? Why do we need to re-learn a software everytime a new release is being made ?

Jan 2, 2014 2:52 PM in response to wefalck

Two questions you asked have the same answer:

I updated my safari to 6.1 and not i have this gray side bar on the left hand side that has my bookmarks and reading list, i cant seem to get rid of it! help!!

Well, yes. But how can I prevent this stupid side bar popping up in the first place ?

viz. Don't click the book icon.

To the last question: Why do we need to re-learn a software everytime a new release is being made ?

I have only the obvious non-answer, "it has ever been so".

Jan 3, 2014 6:28 PM in response to wefalck

I fully understand what your asking and Im having the same problem. I just want to go back to the old way where you can see the full list of bookmarks with the url and its easier, now I get a side panel which irritates the **** out of me. Trying to figure out how to change to the old way. I will keep researching and if I find out will let you know.

How do i get rid of the Bookmarks/Reading List bar on the left side of browser?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.