Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect my Canon mp510 to iMac after updating to OS X 10.9 mavericks

I have an imac and i have recently updated its software to OS X 10.9 MAVERICKS and now its seems that i cannot find anywhere drivers for my canon mp510 (printer-scanner-copier).

I need to be able to copy and scan and now with the update to mavericks it seems that my mp510 is useless.

I have serached canon pages, apple, everywhere and i cannot seem to be able to find a way for my mp510 to be able to connect to my imac and finally work like it used to.

Please help!!

Thanks, Maria

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), problem with connecting mp510

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 8:27 AM

14 replies

Oct 28, 2013 1:21 PM in response to mariakat87

Apple has a printer driver available for the Canon MP510, so with the printer connected to the Mac, this driver should be downloaded and installed.

But there appears to be no scanner driver available for this model. Checking the Canon web site, they have not published 10.9 drivers like they have for newer products. You could try installing the scanner driver and MP Navigator for 10.8 which are available via the following link.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search?model=PIXMA+MP510&menu=download&filter=0 &tagname=g_os&g_os=Mac%20OS%20X%20v10%2E8

Oct 28, 2013 2:04 PM in response to PAHU

PAHU thank you very much for your prompt response and assistance!

Can you please let me know where can i find this driver available from apple for the Canon MP510?

Also, can you please let me know why the printer and scanner of my MP510 keep appearing as being offline all the time? is there something i can do for them to remain always connected to the imac without having any connection issues to deal with every single time?

Oct 28, 2013 11:16 PM in response to mariakat87

mariakat87 wrote:

Can you please let me know where can i find this driver available from apple for the Canon MP510?

If you connect the MP510 to the Mac via USB cable the driver should be automatically downloaded from Apple. According to this Apple KB article, the MP510 printer driver was recently updated.

mariakat87 wrote:

Also, can you please let me know why the printer and scanner of my MP510 keep appearing as being offline all the time? is there something i can do for them to remain always connected to the imac without having any connection issues to deal with every single time?

If the MP510 is connected to the Mac via USB cable, then it would suggest an issue with the cable. So I would try another.

If it is connecting via some other means, then please reply.

Oct 29, 2013 2:14 PM in response to PAHU

The MP510 is indeed connected to the iMac via usb cable.

Initially when i first bought the iMac i connected my MP510 to it and it found the software instantly. I was not able to scan though until i downloaded a program called VUESCAN.At that poit i coud print and scan. While i was downloading OS X MAVERICKS i was trying to print something and the iMac kept showing a small window which stated that the printer was offline. From that time onwards it has been 2 days that i have tried and downloaded every program that i hope will help me to be able to print and scan from MP510.

How can the usb cable not work at this point while before downloading mavericks it was just fine ?

Also i have tried to download MP NAVIGATOR for 10.8 as you have suggested above but after i installed it i could not find the program downloaded in order to open it and scan a document.

Do i need to erase everything i have downloaded in terms of printing and scanning and re-download them again?How do i do that? I used to be a PC user and now that i have an imac some things like using the printer seems to be very complicated and time-consuming.

Please help me in any way you can think. I need to be able to use my MP510 desperately as buying a new printer-scanner is definitely not an option at this time.

Oct 29, 2013 2:52 PM in response to mariakat87

With regards to the printer offline message, we need to check if the Mac can "see" the printer. If you open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities, in this folder you will System Information. Open this and you will see an entry in the left column called USB. With this selected, the top right pane shows all the USB busses on your Mac. If the USB cable and the MP510 is okay then it should be listed under one of the USB busses. Do you see it?

If no, then try another USB cable. Until the MP510 appears under one of these USB busses you are not going to be able to print to it.

If the printer is visible, then the next action is to open Printers & Scanners and select the MP510 in the Printers list and remove it (by clicking on the minus button). Then you can click on the plus button to add the printer again. If you get a message stating that a driver update is available, allow this to complete.

With the printer existing in Printers & Scanners, see if you can print.

Oct 31, 2013 11:17 AM in response to PAHU

PAHU further to my above email and after searching all internet pages avaliable in terms of compatibility of canon mp510 drivers with os x mavericks 10.9 software, i have not found any that suggests there is indeed one. all of them state that there is no such driver available yet neither in terms of printing nor scanning.

As you can see from the link found in canon hompage this is indeed the case.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/mac-osx

Please advise where you found that there is an available software from canon for mp510. also now that i cannot see anywhere my MP510 when plugging in the usb cable, i will never be able to print and scan? this is very frustrating!!

I cant believe what is happening with my printer! and all this because of an update to the apple software!! I thought that the updates to the software are made for devices to work better, not stop working!!

S.O.S to anyone that can help me!!:)

Oct 31, 2013 1:58 PM in response to mariakat87

If you look at my second response I provided a link to an Apple KB article that shows what drivers are available from Apple and the MP510 is listed there.

Note also that the lack of a driver does not stop the printer from appearing under one of the USB busses. So with it not appearing, I would try turning the power off to the MP510 and unplugging the power cord for 5 minutes. Then plug the power cord back in, turn it on and check if it is present under one of the USB busses.

Nov 4, 2013 7:56 AM in response to mariakat87

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. After Mavericks upgrade, my driver for MP510 (printer & Scanner) seems be replaced with another driver, only for printer. Today, i have found only one solution, use the software Vuescan. Vuescan have a embeded driver for MP510 and works with Mavericks. I have tried the free version and it's ok. But this version have a logo "Vuescan" through the scan. The other version is too expensive for me, 29€ !

thanks to tet me know any news about.

Bruno

Nov 9, 2013 7:07 AM in response to EFG027

hey bruno!thank you for your tip. i have unplugged the power cord once or twice and bought a new USB cord and now my mp510 is visible and able to print.

None of the drivers of canon or apple page works in terms of the scanner though so i have followed your tip and tried vuescan! Turns out is the only solution to my problme at this point!

PAHU thank you very much for your assistance as well throughout this duscussion. Should canon has a new driver for the scanner utility of mp510 that can work with maverickes(lets hope so!) please let me know asap!

Maria

how to connect my Canon mp510 to iMac after updating to OS X 10.9 mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.