Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio when importing video from Aperture to FCP

I'm currently working on a video project where all my videos are in Aperture. In FCP, whether I use the media browser or import videos directly into an event, there is no audio with them. There is no waveform. If I preview a video in the media browser, the preview plays with sound, but when I drag a video onto the timeline it behaves as if there is no audio associated with the clip. This is the case for all of my videos in Aperture, including ones shot with my iPhone. My current workaround is to export the videos from Aperture onto the desktop and then import them into Final Cut. It's working, but it's a pain and I shouldn't have to do this. Audio files that I import using the media browser are working just fine.

Has anyone delt with this before or have any ideas to try?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3.06 GHz 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512 MB)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 9:17 AM

17 replies

Oct 28, 2013 5:07 PM in response to squeakystrings

Similar (same?) problem here 😟

A project that I created in FCPX using MP4 files imported from Aperture was working fine.

Then I

Did Maverick upgrade (which also did codec upgrades) and now I have no sound in the project.

Importing video from Aperture ... audio track shows flatline.

But when I export MP4 from Aperture to desktop and then import to FCPX it plays

MacBook Air 2GHz i7 8GB RAM

Nov 20, 2013 2:56 PM in response to squeakystrings

Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the exact same problem with videos in .mp4 format (shot on a GoPro Hero3+) from Aperture not having sound in Final Cut Pro X 10.0.9

However, Clip works fine in iMovie though? Also, MVI videos shot on my Canon 7D dslr work fine so I don't know what's going on?? I tried installing the Cineform codec I found on gopro's site but it doesn't seem to do anything.

FYI I'm running Mavericks as well...

Really NEED a solution to this I don't want to be exporting to the desktop all the time!

Nov 20, 2013 3:16 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Sorry I meant h.264 is what my 7D records in....mvi is just the file name it assigns.

All my go-pro footage that I have in my Aperture library plays fine in the preview window of Final Cut Pro, but as soon as I drag it onto the timeline it no longer has audio?? Figure it has something to do with the transfer from aperture to final cut, as clips that I directly bring into final cut work fine?

What could accessing the clips I have saved in Aperture library change from the original file structure??

Nov 20, 2013 4:05 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I know nothing about the frameworks behind them but would like to get these videos to cleanly load into FCP. Perhaps something in the FCP mp4 framework codec is messed up....no idea??

Why is it not recommended to upload and manage my videos through Aperture? Does it compress them or what? Just ran a test of a go-pro vid uploaded to Aperture and exported vs. an original go-pro vid and they were the exact same size? Haven't tried it with my dslr, but seems like it isn't tweeking it??

Nov 21, 2013 5:58 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I don't know what you mean by "optimize" the media? I imported the clips into Aperture like I said.....which I'm still curious why it is not recommended to do? I like having a central storage/organizational space for my photos/videos.

These clips were shot at 1920x1440 23.98frames/sec at the default audio settings that play fine everywhere other than FCP. Since they work fine everywhere other than when I try to access them in FCP thru my Aperture library, I've concluded that it HAS to have something to do with how FCP is loading them..

Nov 21, 2013 6:38 AM in response to CelliniEVO

Optimization is explained in the manual. I don't know how you're bringing your media into FCP from Aperture. Probably simply drag and drop from the photo browser. If you are using Aperture make sure your import preferences are set so copy to event is checked on and optimize media is checked on. If you do this you can import from Aperture. If you don't leaving the media in a highly compressed format, embedded inside the Aperture library package can significantly degrade performance. Where is your Aperture library located?

No audio when importing video from Aperture to FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.