Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have mysterious cellular data usage (Verizon) every 6 hours on all 3 of my iphone 5's?

I have recently uncovered mysterious cellular usage on three different iPhones. I am a Verizon customer and discovered this by examining the cellular data use logs. What I found are a long series of mysterious data usage logs. I have visited the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store 3 times now to log notes and discuss the issue. It is being escalated.

The characterstics are as follows:

• All my family phones have the appropriate IOS and hardware updates (verified by the GeniusBar at my local Apple Store).
  • This is occuring across three phones, which happen to all be iphone 5. Two are 5 and the other a new 5s. We do have one iphone 4 in the family but the issue (so far as I can tell), is not happening on it.
  • One iphone 5 has IOS 7, the other IOS 6. The new 5s has of course IOS 7.
  • Mysterious data use happens even while connected to wifi.
  • Each mysterious data use log entry is exactly 6 hours apart. For example: 2:18 AM, 8:18 AM, 2:18 PM, 8:18 PM, 2:18 AM ... etc. It cycles AM and PM, same times, for a day to many days until some condition causes it to change (evolve).
  • The times evolve. One day it could be cycling through at one time series, then it changes to another time sequence and continues until the next condition.
  • The data usage is anywhere from a few K to many MB. The largest I've seen is over 100 MB.
  • The logs clearly show these usages are not due to human interaction. It is a program.
  • If cellular connection is used frequently (by the owner), the pattern is hard to pick out. Luckily, my family member is very good about only using wifi whenever possible, so these mysterious use patterns are easy to pick out.
  • Verizon allows access to 90 days worth of data logs, so I downloaded and analyzed them. This has been happening for at least 90 days. I have found 298 instances of mysterious use out of 500 total connections to cellular. A total of 3.5 GB of mysterious cellular data has been recorded as used in that 90 days by this phone alone. Only .6 GB of the total cellular data use is legitimate, meaning by the person.
  • This issue is occuring across three different phones. Two are iPhone 5, and the third is a recently purchased iPhone 5s. The 5s I have not touched beyone the basic startup. I have left it alone on a desk for 3 days, and looking at the logs, the mysterious data use in the same pattern is occuring.

So ... I am speaking to both sides, Verizon and Apple to get answers. Verizon puts their wall up at data usage. It doesn't matter how it is being used, you simply need to pay for it. Yes, the evidence I have gathered is getting closer to someting on Verizon's end.

Before pressing in that direction, I am hoping someone reading this may recognize this issue as a possible iPhone 5 issue ... OR ... you, right now, go look at your data usage logs available through your carrier's web account, and see if you can pick out a pattern of mysterious use. Look especially at the early morning instances when you are most likely sleeping.

I am hoping this is a simple issue that has a quick resolution. I'm looking for the "ooohhh, I see that now ..." But I am starting to think this might be much bigger, but the fact is, most customers rarely or never look at their data usage details, much less discover mysterious use patterns.

The final interesting (maybe frightening part) thing about all this is that I discovered while talking to Verizon ... they do not divulge which direction the data is going. This goes for any use, mysterious or legitimate. Is cellular data coming to your phone, or leaving it? Is something pulling data from your phone? We know that it is possible to build malware apps, but the catch with my issue is that it is also happening on a brand new iphone 5s with nothing downloaded to it.

Thanks for your time

iPhone 5, iphone 5 and 5c, both ios 6 and 7

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 10:59 AM

mtamaki wrote:

Other questions from a while back in the disucssion -

1. Which way is the data going, push or pull?
  2. Why does it use cellular data only and not wifi when it is within a strong wifi network? The 6 hour increment of data use does stop when you turn off cellular data.
  3. What on the iPhone, even it were service oriented, requires that much data? Ideas may include documents, email, pictures, video, application data, facetime video and sound ... etc

1. No way to know which way it is going, unless you have an app such as Onavo. However, Settings/Cellular shows cumulatively how much data was sent and how much was received.

2. Being within a WiFi field is not sufficient. WiFi goes off 30 seconds after the screen goes off to save battery, so any data transfer when the screen is off will go over cellular. WiFi, unlike cellular, uses power continuously, whether transferring data or not. This is not an iPhone characteristic; it is the nature of the WiFi standard. But it means that if WiFi stayed on all the time the battery would run down very fast. The exception is when the phone is connected to power. Then WiFi stays on.

3. Settings/Cellular will show you how much data each app uses, but not what the app is using it for. You can turn off individual apps to prevent them from using cellular data. If you take frequent screen shots of that page you can sort of graph your data usage for each app over time.

Regarding the 6 hours, it's more complicated than I implied. (I've worked on telecom billing systems). Whenever you leave one area covered by a Mobile Telephone Switching Office (MTSO) that switch sends a single record to the billing system showing all of the data you used while connected to the switch. These occur at random times. (An MTSO can support many towers, so it is a larger scale than simply a tower). The systems I worked on also had a "close" function at the end of the day that sent a single billing record from the MTSO you are connected to at the close time, which is roughly midnight PST for AT&T. This is so if you stay home for several days you get a summary record each day rather that one after multiple days. Many other carriers around the world use the same billing system.

Verizon uses a different billing system. I'm guessing here, because I never worked on Verizon's system, but since the 6 hour interval is so consistent I suspect that Verizon's MTSOs send the summary record from the MTSO you have been connected to every 6 hours rather than every 24 hours. The reason you see other usage in between is due to the fact that as you travel when you leave the coverage area of an MTSO a summary is generated also. And sometimes you can even switch MTSOs without moving; for example, if your local switch is overloaded you might be transferred to another nearby switch. This is especially common in large cities, where a switch may cover only a few blocks, as opposed to a rural network when the switches can be 15 miles apart.

On a historical note, when AT&T and Apple released the first iPhone a billing record was generated for every data transfer. This resulted in users getting bills of 300 or more pages, listing every transfer. Also, since the record only reported in kilobyte chunks, a 100 byte transfer would be reported as 1 KB. As data was unlimited for the first iPhone this usage inflation on the bill was not a problem for the customer, but it did make people wonder where all that information was going.

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2014 10:59 AM in response to mtamaki

mtamaki wrote:

Other questions from a while back in the disucssion -

1. Which way is the data going, push or pull?
  2. Why does it use cellular data only and not wifi when it is within a strong wifi network? The 6 hour increment of data use does stop when you turn off cellular data.
  3. What on the iPhone, even it were service oriented, requires that much data? Ideas may include documents, email, pictures, video, application data, facetime video and sound ... etc

1. No way to know which way it is going, unless you have an app such as Onavo. However, Settings/Cellular shows cumulatively how much data was sent and how much was received.

2. Being within a WiFi field is not sufficient. WiFi goes off 30 seconds after the screen goes off to save battery, so any data transfer when the screen is off will go over cellular. WiFi, unlike cellular, uses power continuously, whether transferring data or not. This is not an iPhone characteristic; it is the nature of the WiFi standard. But it means that if WiFi stayed on all the time the battery would run down very fast. The exception is when the phone is connected to power. Then WiFi stays on.

3. Settings/Cellular will show you how much data each app uses, but not what the app is using it for. You can turn off individual apps to prevent them from using cellular data. If you take frequent screen shots of that page you can sort of graph your data usage for each app over time.

Regarding the 6 hours, it's more complicated than I implied. (I've worked on telecom billing systems). Whenever you leave one area covered by a Mobile Telephone Switching Office (MTSO) that switch sends a single record to the billing system showing all of the data you used while connected to the switch. These occur at random times. (An MTSO can support many towers, so it is a larger scale than simply a tower). The systems I worked on also had a "close" function at the end of the day that sent a single billing record from the MTSO you are connected to at the close time, which is roughly midnight PST for AT&T. This is so if you stay home for several days you get a summary record each day rather that one after multiple days. Many other carriers around the world use the same billing system.

Verizon uses a different billing system. I'm guessing here, because I never worked on Verizon's system, but since the 6 hour interval is so consistent I suspect that Verizon's MTSOs send the summary record from the MTSO you have been connected to every 6 hours rather than every 24 hours. The reason you see other usage in between is due to the fact that as you travel when you leave the coverage area of an MTSO a summary is generated also. And sometimes you can even switch MTSOs without moving; for example, if your local switch is overloaded you might be transferred to another nearby switch. This is especially common in large cities, where a switch may cover only a few blocks, as opposed to a rural network when the switches can be 15 miles apart.

On a historical note, when AT&T and Apple released the first iPhone a billing record was generated for every data transfer. This resulted in users getting bills of 300 or more pages, listing every transfer. Also, since the record only reported in kilobyte chunks, a 100 byte transfer would be reported as 1 KB. As data was unlimited for the first iPhone this usage inflation on the bill was not a problem for the customer, but it did make people wonder where all that information was going.

Jun 30, 2017 7:07 PM in response to mtamaki

It's happening on my iPhone 6, a 6S and a 7 in my family. I'm concerned thats it's verizon "polling" the phones and increasing data usage. Every time I talk to them they suggest the unlimited plan- - which leads me to believe it's a marketing ploy.

The last technical support person I talked to seemed to think it's something on their end and has promised to get back to me about the issue, although my past experience with Verizon is that it isn't going to help....

Jun 30, 2017 7:09 PM in response to Steve-Savalas

there are these charges every 6 hours for DAYS when there's no other data usage on the phone -- that doesn't make sense. And I agree with you -- if it's the carrier pulling the information for their billing purposes, we shouldn't be billed for it.

BUT, I don't believe it's really them pulling it for billing purposes -- that information should be available from those expensive cell towers they built -- there's some "polling" issue going on here.

Jul 1, 2017 7:27 AM in response to beancter

Actually, that IS it. When you travel from tower to tower each time you change the tower that you have just used sends data to billing. That's the data you see between the 6 hour intervals. The 6 hour report is for the site you are connected to currently. I've designed phone billing systems, and they are all similar. AT&T users a once-a-day update at 12 AM PST for the current switch reporting, Verizon uses 6 hour intervals for the current switch reporting.

Jul 1, 2017 2:10 PM in response to beancter

beancter wrote:

then why did verizon tell me that's not what it is? they said its malware -- which I don't believe. and why doesn't it occur on every line in our plan?

Verizon didn't tell you anything. A Verizon tier 1 CSR, probably in India, and paid $1 an hour, told you that. The don't know much other than what is in their script. And they are rated on how many calls they can complete in an hour, so they will say anything that will get you to hang up. The average tier 1 CSR is in the job for 3 to 6 months before they move on. There is no malware on an unjailbroken iPhone, so you are right not to believe it.

You said it DID occur on every line in your plan:

Nope, that's not it -- there are numerous incidents of data usage between these 6 hour time periods on several of the phones. It's only the phones with low data usage that it's so easy to see between the six hour intervals. But on the line with a lot of data usage, those every six hour postings are still there, you just have to look for them.

It won't appear on any phone that has had no data usage.

Nov 11, 2013 11:47 AM in response to mtamaki

With iOS 7, apps can continue processing in the background, so it's important to close them when not using them. All it takes is one app to perfrom background communications with some server at fixed intervals.

Try shutting down one device, then start it again but do not invoke any apps. Is there still communications going on? (There will be some, since iOS would be doing it.)

Nov 13, 2013 7:30 PM in response to mtamaki

My family is experiencing the exact same issue. Three phones, two 5cs and one 5s, all with this weird cellular data usage at 6 hour intervals that seem to reset periodically (eg when the phone is turned off then back on). We are also Verizon customers, and of course they claim they have never heard of it. The usage was so high because of this on one of our phones it actually exceeded our data plan. And in each case, this behavior began when we upgraded our phones to the new 5 versions. We had all been using iOS7 on our old 4 and 4s. What makes this even more intriguing is that two of us migrated our settings from our backed up iPhone 4 phones. No new apps and no setting changes.

It would be really nice to know if any users from other cellular carriers are experiencing this as well. We will be turning app cellular access off on one of the phones to see if it changes...

Nov 15, 2013 10:27 AM in response to mtamaki

Thanks for the replies. It took a while not hearing anything so thought I was alone. I have done many of the suggestions already. The key here is that it occurs on both phones with apps, and phones still packaged in a box.

A Genius Bar supervisor also checked his Verizon data usage log and found the same 6 hour incremental use. Suprisingly, he did not express much intrigue over that. Maybe he did, but did not show it.

I think the 6 hour incremental usage is the main issue here. I spoke with Verizon (again) and they confirmed that all they do is log exactly when the phone connected to the tower and used data. The time it records is when the usage started. I also found out that the time recorded is GMT.

What is using data, unsolicited, every 6 hours?

Why does it change?

Why does it only happen on the iPhone 5 series and not the 4?

Since no one from Apple seems to be chiming in on this, and I have not received the promised calls from Apple tech support that the Genius Bar staff said I was suppose to receive, it is starting to feel like something is being swept under the rug.

I woke up the other day with another thought ... What application would use such large amounts of data? Well ... music, video, sound and pictures of course. Well ... what would someone set automatically that is of any use to them? hmmm ... video, pictures, sound. Is the iPhone 5 succeptible to snooping? Can an app be buried in the IOS that automatically turns on video and sound recording, and send it somewhere ... every 6 hours? Chilling. I noted that the smallest data usage is during the night when nothing is going on, then it peaks during the day. The Genius Bar tech and I looked at each other when I drew this sine wave graph on the log print outs during an appointment ...

Why do I have mysterious cellular data usage (Verizon) every 6 hours on all 3 of my iphone 5's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.