Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed Mavericks, now HDMI Monitor is black. Any ideas?

I have a MAC mini from mid 2011. I just installed Mavericks. Now my monitor is black. Using HDMI cable. No adaptors.

Shows up in preferences, but screen is black.

USB monitor is failing completely.

Gone from 3 monitors to one. 😟

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 10:08 AM

99 replies

Oct 28, 2013 10:26 AM in response to kentendo

I am having a very similar problem.

I have the 15" Macbook Pro Retina and its hooked up with a Viewsonic 27" LED monitor via HDMI. From time to time my display will turn black/off and its random and frustrating.

There's no indication that anything is causing this, I have only a keyboard & mouse plugged into my USB ports and the monitor plugged into the HDMI port. I rarely use the macbook without this second display and always have the lid closed...so I've not really experienced this problem when I use the laptop without an external display.

Chris Powers

Oct 28, 2013 1:48 PM in response to Christopher GM Powers

I just installed Maverick onto my Macbook Pro, and now my "Displays" setting can not detect my Apple Cinema Display which I have been using for 3 years with my laptop. Now I have to use my laptop's screen while my Cinema Display sits idly by as an expensive paper weight on my desk.

What happened, Apple? This Maverick update sure looks like a dud...actually worse...a massive bug dressed up in an upgrade's clothing.

Oct 28, 2013 2:03 PM in response to kentendo

I have a similar problem. Sep-2010 MacBook Pro and Sony TV.

Since installation of Mavericks the thunderbolt/HDMI connection which I have in the past used to mirror my display to the TV no longer works. The MacBook doesn't see the TV and vice versa (the TV screen stays blank).

If these glitches continue to mount up (I have other problems with iOS7 on my phone), I will be moving on. I begin to form the impression that Apple is losing its way.

Nov 6, 2013 11:12 AM in response to kentendo

Yep, I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using a thunderbolt to hdmi cord (3rd party) to connect my 13" MacBook Pro to my Vizio 32" TV, and as of this morning the my MacBook Pro's display would not appear on my TV. There was no option for it in display preferences on my Mac, nor did the TV respond at all. It was working fine on Mountain Lion, and now that I have upgraded to Mavericks it isn't working for me either. At least this is a common problem and not one of those pesky individual ones. Hopefully Apple releases some sort of update soon that will fix this, seems like it's been well over a week that MacBook Pro users have had this problem.

Nov 10, 2013 3:03 PM in response to kentendo

yup .. me too .. macbook pro mid 2010 - mitsubishi tv using rocketfish adapter to HDMI -- had no no no trouble for years.

since mavericks, it doesn't show ... HOWEVER, If I reboot my mac with it plugged in & the tv on that input, it does come up ... but if i unplug and plug back in ... i'm back out.

there should be a command (at the least) that you can call (like from terminal) to force a display refresh.

Installed Mavericks, now HDMI Monitor is black. Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.