Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After mavericks upgrade unable to connect to printer

After mavericks upgrade on one of my two 2013 iMac, when I try to print anything on my network printer and plotter I always obtain this message: "unable to connect to printer" than printer pause and got "pronto per la stampa" (ready to print in italian).

I have a EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 1290 A3 color inkjet printer and an HP designjet 500 plus 24 plotter connected to a Windows XP machine under a Windows XP network.

Trying to print from the seconf 2013 iMac with OS X 10.8 (NON OS X 10.9 Maverocks upgraded) everything goes as usual ant printer works well as from other two Windows XP machine on the same Windows network.

Then apparently the "unable to connect to printer" problem is up to OS X 10.9

Any suggestion?

scm962

Stefano

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), unable to connect to printer

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 10:51 AM

3 replies

Aug 21, 2014 5:43 PM in response to scm962

THis helped me. Had to share this!

Go to this link: http://macs.about.com/od/printersharing/ss/Printer-Sharing-Share-Your-Windows-7- Printer-With-Your-Mac_5.htm

Things to Keep in mind and setup first if your Server which your printer is connected to is a Mac Desktop like mine, otherwise the above instructions will not work:

1) Make sure to have firewall set either to "Off", but if "On" then make sure set to allow SMB, Printer Share, and other devices. Thats a Biggie! (I suggest you Test first that you're indeed able to connect first to your Mac desktop server using the smb://YourServersFileSharingAddess.local, or cifs://YourServersFileSharingAddess.local. If you're not able to connect to your servers hard drive from your Laptop, then the printer setup will not work! So resolve this first and make sure you can connect using the mentioned protocols.

2) When you see that you're able to connect, then go to your printer setup and follow the above links suggestion. Just make sure that when you enter the ip address which it suggest, that its the same ip or location name of your mac server which your trying to connect to, ie... (YourServersFileSharingAddess.local/NameOfPrinterConnectedToServer). Keep in mind that it is case sensitive and that if you have spaced in the name of the printer, its better and easier to just rename it and cut it down to just one name...no spaces! But if you must have the spaces, then use %20 to fill those spaces, ie... "My Printer name" change to "My%20Printer%20name".

Then watch the magic!

After mavericks upgrade unable to connect to printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.