Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s ios 7.0.3 stuck in recovery mode preparing iphone for restore

Tried upgrading from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3 via iTunes and Windows XP. It did not work and my phone is now stuck on the screen with the white cable pointing toward the iTunes icon. iTunes is stuck saying Preparing for iPhone restore. I've tried leaving it this way for hours and it will cycle the phone off and then start all over again. I've tried restarting the computer, iPhone, etc.. with no luck. Does anyone know the magic formula to make it live again? I did perform a backup before the restore.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3, Using iTunes on Windows XP

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 11:31 AM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2013 12:08 PM in response to junkfroggy

More info:

So iTunes says extracting software as the iphone sits on the screen with the white cable pointing toward the iTunes icon. Then it says preparing iPhone for restore. At that point the screen goes blank (you can still see backlight so the phone is on). Then the progress bar sits and spins for a long time at which point it starts all over again. Forgot to mention that virus software is disabled.

Nov 8, 2013 8:47 PM in response to junkfroggy

I had this problem with my wife's iPad when I updated to 7.0.3 via OTA. It was easily fixed for me, and I assume it should work for everyone else even on iphones.

It appears that sometimes during installation of the OTA update to 7.0.3, it gets stuck in recovery half way through.

You can connect it to iTunes and restore it, which will wipe it, OR you can download TinyUmbrella and kick it out of recovery. Once you do that, the installer should complete normally (it did for me).

1) Download and install TinyUmbrella for your PC/Mac.

2) Make sure iTunes isn't running and connect your device via USB.

3) Open up TinyUmbrella. Your device should show up on the left. Click on it and then choose "exit recovery".

4) Profit.

Jan 16, 2014 9:28 AM in response to junkfroggy

Hi,

I had same problem, because I pluged out USB cable during upgrade to new iOS. Very stupid!

After hours, I finnaly found solution:

1. iPhone is connected by USB cable to PC (Windows 7, in my case)

2. Press Power button on iPhone and turn off iPhone

3. Disconnect USB cable

4. Shutdown iTunes (which is stucked in proces of recovery)

5. Turn on iTunes

6. Connect USB cable iPhone <-> PC

7. Lets play! -> follow steps for recovery in iTunes

8. You have to see status bar on your iPhone after few minutes, yeah, yeah

9. Enter SIM code on iPhone + several simple steps on them

9. Your iPhone is upgraded to new iOS, but it is blank, so you have to make BACKUP

Have a nice time

Goran

iphone 4s ios 7.0.3 stuck in recovery mode preparing iphone for restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.