Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shuts down unexpectedly

Hi there,

My MacBook Pro 15inch Mid 2010 has been shutting down unexpectedly lately.

The Laptop simply shuts down and restarts itself, showing a white/grey screen saying something like "your mac shut down unexpectedly" or something similar.

It all started a couple of months ago, happening very seldomly, but this last week has been every day or every two days. Creepy.

I have not been able to recognize any specific pattern: happens when plugged to MacSafe, also when unplugged, working in all applications (word, chrome, mail...). What I might have noticed (I'm not sure, though) is that it happens mostly when switching between applications or tabs on chrome. Might be a dead end.

What I'm sure it is not is overheating: mostly I'm not using any heavy applications at all and I'm also running on a SSD. The laptop doesn't feel hot either.

Thank you in advance for your responses,

Lanski

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 11:29 AM

5 replies

Oct 28, 2013 11:53 AM in response to Lanski13

There was a recall, of sorts, for the 2010 model MBP. Something to do with the GPU being faulty. But if your are getting the "Your computer needs to be restarted because of a problem" screen and you haven't install any new software of any kind then it is a hardware problem and nothing to do with software. That problem could be the logic board, the main system component, or RAM or the hard drive.

MacBook Pro shuts down unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.