Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

could not load iCloud preference pane and could not load internet accounts preference pane

after a recent not so succesful time machine restore, and after turning internal hard drive and ssd on my macbook pro late 2008 into a fusion drive, I get these error messages in the system preference : could not load iCloud preference pane and could not load internet accounts preference pane. I noted that Mail, Calendar, notes etc all sync to my various device, but on my mac, I can't access the accounts feature. Can anyone help me resolve this issue ? I searched all over the net with no success...

cheers !

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 1:05 AM

I have since reinstalled the 2 pref panes via Pacifist. But the problem persist.

19 replies

Oct 31, 2013 5:45 AM in response to busker

Same problem here.

Yesterday I deleted com.apple.systempreferences from User / Library and it seemed to solve the problem.

However today the problem is back and deleting that file no longer solves it.

This affects iCloud and Internet Accounts preference panes. It also stops my Photostream in iPhoto from displaying correctly.

Any ideas?

Dec 4, 2013 11:40 AM in response to busker

I was having this exact thing happen. It was after a TimeMachine restore that it first showed up.

Whenever I clicked on iCloud in the System Preferences, System Preferences just plain quits and nothing else happened. It happened with the Mail, Contacts and Calendars preferences as well.

I tried re-installing a fresh copy of 10.8 over the TimeMachine restore. That didn't help.

I finally figured it out by launching "Console" and watching what happened as I tried to launch iCloud prefs again. It was having a problem with some file that was "read only" in this location:

12/4/13 1:17:49.922 PM System Preferences[244]: Attempting to move old store file to /Users/(my user name)/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/Backups/2013-12-04- -13:17:49--V1.storedata and create a new empty store file

So I navigated to that folder, and noticed that several of the items there were "LOCKED", with the little lock icon. I did "apple-I" to "get info" on each of those and unlocked them, and VOILA, it all started working again.

I have noticed that after the TimeMachine "restore", many, MANY files suddenly had the "lock" icon, and evidently it "LOCKS" files that should NOT be "locked." Things as inconsequential as photo files were locked. I have no idea why, but that "locking" by Time Machine was the source of the entire problem with iCloud and Mail, Contacts and Calendars preference panes NOT LAUNCHING.

I hope this helps somebody!

Feb 6, 2014 1:16 PM in response to moog5

This happened to me as well - a user couldn't load the iCloud or internet accounts preference panes. I logged in to the computer management account on that same machine and could load both of the preference panes, so at first I thought it was some kind of weird permissions error. However, recently I've been having problems with the Keychains folder not being created properly in ~/Library. Turns out the Calendar and Mail folders in ~/Library (as well as a few others) were screwed up / corrupted too. So, I deleted both the Mail and Calendar folders, created new folders manually with those same names, and was able to launch the iCloud & internet accounts preference panes.

Mar 22, 2014 11:51 AM in response to busker

In my case, I had used the Terminal to delete the Messages, Notes and Reminders apps. Internet Accounts and iCloud preference panes gave errors and acted flakey. This was true with a new, test user account that I created. Tried at least a half dozen suggestions here in the Discussions, most or all of which involved deleting various cache, pref and app support files. I reinstalled Mavericks (10.9.2) and, at the moment, both preference panels are acting normal.

This time, I'm not even going to delete Chess or run Monolingual (seems to mess up Adobe). I wish Apple would allow the option to skip all the foreign file support installs.

Jun 9, 2014 2:02 PM in response to busker

In my situation it was a little bit different, I had to go to :

/Users/(my user name)/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/

And delete the two files :

NotesV2.storedata-shm

NotesV2.storedata-wal

Since notes uses SQLite to store the data, these two files were locking up the database and wasn't allowing Notes to open up and was for some reason causing all of iCloud to get messed up.

Thanks beebs1117 for getting me to that location, this was driving me NUTS!

Aug 3, 2014 5:20 AM in response to busker

Hi all,

I got same problem with my Preferences, so I opened my log file and saw these messages:

03/08/14 14:06:57,919 com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[10812]: Attempting to move old store file to /Users/User/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/Backups/2014- 08-03--14:06:57--V2.storedata and create a new empty store file

03/08/14 14:06:58,782 com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[10812]: SQLite: unixTruncateDatabase() failed with 10 for replacing '/Users/User/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV2.stor edata' with flags 0

First, I tried to remove iCloud.helper cache and configuration files - didn't work, I tried to change permissions of 2014-08-03--14:06:57--V2.storedata or whole Note Backups folder but still didn't fixed System Preferences problem.

So, I completely removed com.apple.Notes folder in this location /Users/User/Library/Containers/

And it fixed my problem. The folder will be automaticaly regenerated.

You can delete it in command line using this simple command:

rm -rf /Users/PutYourUserNameHere/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/

Sep 6, 2014 6:05 PM in response to busker

iMac (Processor 3.2GHz, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, 3TB HD) Running Mavericks (10.9.4), I have the exact same problem. Local Apple Store unable to help. Turned to my AppleCare Program. They say their techs have never come across this issue this was what was done:

• Have downloaded & new copy of OS X = same issue.
  • Deleted OS X Reinstalled OS X on blank drive - restored all my data from backup = now have no MS Office, no Adobe Photoshop Elements, no iWeb, no Parallels, no VMWare, no iPhoto in fact, nothing of "my" machine. (but problem is still there)
  • Advised to do an "Internet Restore" from good Backup (over 24 hours to complete); when complete, machine restarts = a circle with a cross diagonally through it and the spinning wheel. (It goes no further no matter how many times you reboot)

Now on my own, booted using "Command + R" to start in Recovery mode. Changed all permissions in Disk Utility. Rebooted. = my machine is back - all data intact and all programs there & working BUT problem persists.

I have now turned to Communities. Followed everything people said worked for them but in my case, after a reboot, I still cannot load iCloud OR Internet Accounts Preferences panes!!

If I add a calendar item on my iMac it will not sync with either my iPad or iPhone. If I add a calendar item on either my iPhone or my iPad that item will sync with the other device but will not sync to my iMac. The same is true for Contacts as well. Extremely annoying to have to type it in all the time. This is Apple for heavens sake and therefore it should work!!

Jan 19, 2015 7:30 AM in response to GoddyJ

Also in the thread reference above is this solution. It is what finally worked for me.

1. Close the preferences panel and any open applications. (Even if they don't use the internet accounts information. I don't know why, but this is the only way this fix works, so just do it.)
  2. From the user Library folder, navigate to /Library/Preferences/Containers/ and delete the folder com.apple.internetaccounts.
  3. From the user Library folder, navigate to /Library/Preferences/ and delete the property list file, com.apple.internetaccounts.plist.
  4. Reboot your computer.
  5. Your preference pane should now be working.

Oct 28, 2015 8:22 AM in response to busker

Funny - as I was diagnosing this trouble, and reading this thread, my internet accounts pane suddenly started working. I took no action beyond reading this thread. Thanks, guys!

P.S: I'm having a dickens with this El Capitan upgrade. It has not been fun. I can't say I've had a reliable stable platform since I upg to El Capitan.

could not load iCloud preference pane and could not load internet accounts preference pane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.