Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't apple configurator communicate with iTunes app store?

I am managing 60 iPads at a school. I use apple configurator to manage everything I can. I noticed that several of the apps I have imported into configurator (Both paid and free) have updated versions in the iTunes app store but not they are not updating within configurator. In order for me to update the version of the apps in configurator I have to "re-import" each app. Is there a way that the apps I have in configurator can "talk to" the iTunes app store so that I don't have to do this manually? Or have them automatically update in the configurator when there is an updated version of the app?

Interestingly enough the apps are updating on the iPads just fine, I would just like configurator to reflect what versions are actually installed on my iPads.

Any help or comments would be great.

Thanks!

Apple Configurator-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 12:39 PM

1 reply

Jan 6, 2014 9:13 AM in response to DeWal25

Hi DeWal,

No I haven't found any way to do this. Configurator doesn't require an Apple ID to function, whereas iTunes Store does, and I think that may be why you can neither download nor update apps in Configurator. This might help at least a little. When I've got all of the apps I need loaded into Configurator, I open the apps folder which iTunes uses (defaults to /Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications) and I tag them all with a colour. Next time I download or update apps in iTunes this means that the new apps and versions will NOT have a colour. When I go to add apps in Configurator I can therefore easily spot which apps are new or updated. I add these to Configurator and then open the iTunes media folder again and colour them. It helps me to keep track of old and new versions.

Also, in case you are using a shared Mac with Configurator, remember to log into the Mac using a local admin password rather than a network one. If the Mac isn't set up on the netowrk you probably already do this. Configurator stores its library and databse in the User folder, meaning that if you log in as a network user you will be the only person who can use Configurator.

Why doesn't apple configurator communicate with iTunes app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.