Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add an hotmail account to Mail ?

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems to add my hotmail account to mail. I don't know what's the reason but I had set up that acocunt in my macbook but It was no longer available after upgrading Mavericks 10.9.

I have tried to set up from:

1. Mail> Mailbox> New mailbox

2. Adding from the ''+'' buttom

3. Mail settings (cmd+ ; = setting)

4. System Preferences > Internet accounts

Nothings happens, I have others account like ''gmail'' ''Icloud'' '' Yahoo'' And there's no problem with any of them

The error that appear is this

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4781/6pze.png

Thank you for all your help

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 1:06 PM

99 replies

Mar 15, 2014 3:53 AM in response to docnasef

Hi Docnasef.

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution. I am just logging in online... which *****, but I also want to protect the privacy of my password. When you do find a solution please post it here, so that me and most probably many others have access to it..

Thank you for sharing! Now I know it was not only me or my computer.

Mar 22, 2017 7:28 AM in response to docnasef

This fixed my problem after trying for hours doing other things. THANK YOU! I went in and clicked on the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), clicked on bottom choice to edit SMTP Server List, clicked on Use Custom Port and entered 993, then for authentication, I chose Password, then option was given for username and password and entered it and wala, my emails started pouring in.

Nov 26, 2013 9:49 PM in response to Ruud Kolen

It's not an Apple problem it's a Microsoft problem...

WHen you setup your mail, use an incorrect email address when typing it in. Set it up via the "Other Mail" option under "Preferences>Accounts" in Mail. TYpe in your email address incorrect (i.e. MyEmail@hotmail.mac) then select IMAP once it fails the verification. After that use your real e-mail address, once the account is setup you can go in and change the incorrect address back to a valid one. (i.e MyEmail@hotmail.com).

Your IMAP server info is:

incoming: imap-mail.outlook.com

outgoing: smtp-mail.outlook.com

I've included this link to a video tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczRj6UHPMs

Feb 27, 2014 2:47 AM in response to Mojoscream

Hi Mojoscream, thank you for sharing.

I have tried your method. However, as soon as I fill in my correct details in the 2nd step in the "Incoming Mail Server Info," I get the following message:

"Password could not be sent to imap-mail.outlook.com securely" See image..User uploaded file

Last week, before watching your video, I set up my account, and said yes to signing in "insecurely," but now my email is doing a lot of WEIRD stuff. For example, when I am getting new mail, the program says that it is receiving 300 messages, when in reality I have got for example 5 new emails.. Or whenever i send an email, it says it is sending 3 emails... and to me this is scary, i don't know if someone else is sending emails on my name.. or getting copy of all my emails.. no idea

So, to sum it up, how do i go about setting up my hotmail account in my Mail program going throuhg the steps that you suggest, but also making sure that my password is not exposed to others?

Thank you in advance Mojoscream!

Cheers

Mar 14, 2014 3:02 PM in response to Exitosa

hello

I seemed to be having the exact same problem as Exitosa.

I have tried god knows how many times, and all to no avail!!

I even decided so what the heck !!

, and went through inspite of the warning of it not being secure, and if that was not enough, I found that after configuring it , and going through the rest of the stuff... it seemed to work for a while, but then not all my mail was downloaded to my inbox (junk mail worked fine!)... other mails also (Gmail, yahoo)

then hotmail on mac mail "automatically" choose to uncheck SSL ..!

Thought that was why I was having the problem..

So, went into Preferences, and checked that back again to on and it was on Port 993 and all as is described here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/how-to-set-up- mac-mail-to-sync-your-outlookcom/afdfe981-20c7-4d4a-b6b1-9329b27f018a

and here:

http://matthill.eu/tutorials/outlook-hotmail-imap-setup-osx-mail/

and that was when I got the exclamation mark net to hotmail and the connection doctor giving me the error "if your mail blah blah does not support SSL " message???

Could someone please help?

Exitosa, if you have found a solution could you please kindly share?!

Thank you all and sorry for the rant n all!

Mar 15, 2014 4:17 AM in response to Exitosa

Exitosa..

Thanks for answering back...

Nope Have not found a solution either...

Funny thing is my inbox (on macmail) is like stuck a few days back, can not recieve anything on it...

can send from it....

get junk mail on it...

but inbox just stays there...

Also, it just ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to accept ssl no matter how many times I deleted the account and retried setting up...

so yes I am like you resorting to using my main mail (hotmail.com) through the browser...

hope we get a solution soon....User uploaded file

Mar 15, 2014 5:43 AM in response to docnasef

You are using (at least) the wrong port

Post all of your settings here, obscure your email address.

FYI: These are the correct settings for a Hotmail Imap account n Mac Mail.

IMAP mail account settings

Server Name: imap-mail.outlook.com

Port: 993

User Name: your username (for example j.kowal@hotmail.com)

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

SMTP mail account settings

Server Name: smtp-mail.outlook.com

Port: 587

Connection security: STARTTLS

Authentication method: Normal password

User Name: your username (for example j.kowal@hotmail.com)

How to add an hotmail account to Mail ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.