Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb3 drive disconnecting all the time at a usb 3 port on my macbook pro

i just bought the new macbook pro 13 inch and i was into some point tricked because the salesman from apple assured me that the laptop would be shipped with mountain lion and i could do the upgrade for free for maverick. so when i recieved the computer i found out that it actually came with maverick intalled and after talking to an apple customer support he said i could not go back to mountain lion. so most of my software are damaged according to the new system and it simply doesnt let me open many apps i just installed.
so now i have another bigger problem. everythime i connect a usb 3 HD into my new macbook, the HD gets disconnected. i used already 3 diferent drives and tried at least 3 diferent cables but the problem persists. Note that it never happenned with a usb2 port. is anyone having the same problem?
at this point i am pretty upset with the company alltogether. i had purchased at least 30 macs and i never had any sort of problems till now.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 1:22 PM

22 replies

Oct 28, 2013 1:32 PM in response to fluxornyc12

If you are still in the 14 days from purchase period you can return your MBP 'no questions asked". I would take advantage of this in a discussion with a store manager citing the earlier promise and your needs for Mt. Lion. Perhaps you can have an exception made where they will move mountains and send you a MBP with Mt. Lion. If so, get it in writing.

Ciao,

Oct 28, 2013 1:43 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

they said that mountain lion is simply impossible to be installed because of the new macbook pro firmware. i read dozens of forums and i found out that many people have the same problems as me. i tried many diferent cables and i am pretty sude its not a problem with the mac itself. i am really upset right now and i may loose my work because of it. its sad to see apple going on the same path as microsoft

Dec 13, 2013 1:26 AM in response to fluxornyc12

First of all, I would do as Ogelthorpe suggested, and return it, no questions asked, money returned.

If no luck, you have to check all applications that will not open: uninstall them and download latest version.

Also you may have some installs that are really wrong to have.

For us to have more information, download Etrecheck from www.etresoft.com and run it: it produces a list, that you can copy easily in a post here.

Then the USB3 problem: did you install any software that came with the external disks? If yes you must uninstall that: this generates issues already in older OSX, and certainly so in Mavericks. These softwares may be useful in a Windows installation but are better avoided in a Mac.

This USB3 issue is known in only a small percentage of new macs with mavericks, and I suppose there will be an update soon.

Feb 7, 2014 7:04 AM in response to LukeForDuke

Does anybody has a solution yet?

It looks I have the same problem on my iMac 27"", just bought.

- Cannot format (with disk utility) a USB 3 external harddisk (WD red 2TB harddisk in a USB 3 case), connected to the USB 3 port, however could format bia the Apple-keyboard (USB 2).

- Looses connection while performing a backup (with Synchronise). Again, USB 2 no problem, but terrible slow.

However, I don't have any connectionproblems with my "WD MyBook 4 TB harddrive", which was pre-formatted by WD.

Feb 23, 2014 2:46 PM in response to fluxornyc12

I just got a new IMAC and experienced the same issue with a RAID 10 array with 4 drives spontaneously disconnecting in the middle of a data transfer with the message "you should eject disk properly, etc. etc." message.

As many others I tried all the obvious solutions. Different cables, different drives, etc. Then I read something about radio wave interference from wireless keyboards. Well, I don't have wireless keyboards or mice (don't like them) but still, it stuck in the back of my mind.

I did find that a USB 2.0 cable with noise suppression dongles at each end worked just fine, if a bit slowly. Anyway, I found an old set of ferrite couplings that were made for video cables back in the day and placed one set at each end of the USB 3 cable. I then moved my RAID array as far from the computer as possible and plugged it all back in. The problem has not reoccurred even with the transfer of very large folders of files from a networked PC RAID.

Just a thought but it seems to have worked for me although the fact that this sort of thing is necessary does not speak well for Apple.

Mar 9, 2014 1:17 AM in response to Fergus7

Same problems here. In combination with the smb problems on osx server my macmini has become useless. Need to reboot it twice a day to reconnect my HD. I'm already waiting months for a patch or update, plz apple don't ignore your customers!. Think this was my last mac.

Btw never had any problems with my old macmini and usb 2 disk.

usb3 drive disconnecting all the time at a usb 3 port on my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.