Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to allow Time Machine service to back up to a NAS?

I have Mavericks and OS Server 3 installed and working without too much trouble (slight Caching Server 2 question) but want to tweak the Time Machine service.

I have two private networks in my setup each with their own routers, but the server can see both to service Time Machine. I was previously using Time Machine on a Synology DiskStation but it was hard wired to one of the subnets only, so to get all the clients to back up theu had to switch networks.

I tried setting up the TM destination on the NAS, but the clients could not actually back up and the destination folder was "(null)" instead of "Time Machine" (that I created and pointed at). I would really like to use this setup to allow clients on both networks to use a single Time Machine setup, but would prefer that (at least) the sparsebundles are on the NAS for a little RAID 5 love.

Any solutions?

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 1:24 PM

5 replies

Jan 24, 2014 8:46 PM in response to JustLarry

hello people ...

same scenario and problems here.

http://wp.me/aD60V-2Zk

I have a Mac Mini Server with the Mavericks and running, but I can not define how disk for TimeMachine folders in there NAS (/ Volume_1) here. They appear to "Zero KB"!

But I can effectively define an external drive (/ TM_Caparica) connected directly to the Mac Mini via USB port for TimeMachine.

Beginning to believe that not - in fact - we can use a mapped drive for the server on the local network as the destination for the backup TimeMachine.

What a shame ...

May 29, 2014 5:16 AM in response to JustLarry

I am also looking for a solution to this problem. I manage about 50 Macs in a school environment and I have a Mavericks server with about 25TB of NAS storage. I want Time Machine Server setup to use this NAS, but when I set it up, the clients only see "(null)" on my server as an option and it rejects the backup when they attempt to log in. I swear I had this working at one point when I first set up the server, it seemed to have something to do with FileSharing, but then I moved the server to the rack and once it was on a new network it went back to not working and I can't figure out how I had it working to begin with. Local folders do work fine for the TM Server and clients recognize them normally, but I have about 24TB LESS if I do it this way! Please help!

How to allow Time Machine service to back up to a NAS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.