Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Mavericks - iTunes 11.1.2 - Video Delete Problem

I have to quit iTunes, before I can empty the trash.

I have two machines running Mac OS X Mavericks and iTunes 11.1.2

I run Home Sharing with iTunes on the Host machine to share the videos over the local net with the user machine, also running iTunes, and with the Apple TV.

I sometimes play the video files on the Host machine, and I sometimes play the video files.

When I have seen the files, and I want to delete them from the host machine, I go into iTunes, right click on the file I wish to delete, select delete in the dropdown menu, and then I select the button, "Move to Trash."

The files get moved to the trash.

But, when I try to empty the trash, iTunes has not yet released the files. I get notified that I cannot delete the files because they are still in use.

I have to quit iTunes, before I can empty the trash.

My user machine.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F

SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

And

My Host Machine.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.16f11

And

I have a second gen Apple TV

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9), iTunes 11.1.2(31) , Aperture

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 2:55 PM

6 replies

Dec 13, 2013 3:05 AM in response to Jack Foster Mancilla

I've been seeing this for some time now, including before Mavericks. I was hoping the OS update would solve this. No dice. I hadn't thought about Home Sharing, though - I wonder if that's making iTunes keep its hold on the file despite the host computer no longer needing it.

I've got very little free HD space, so I need to get rid of videos as soon as I'm done watching them, so this has been really annoying.

Mac OS X Mavericks - iTunes 11.1.2 - Video Delete Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.