Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S loose screen

I bought an iPhone 5S at the launch in Germany because there was no date set yet for the release here in Belgium. After a week or two I started noticing that the screen on the right started to feel loose and it makes a sound when pushed. I never dropped it or abused it in any other way. Now the problem has expanded to the top right corner as well... Because the closest Apple Store (where I bought is) is a 2 hour drive away I want to make sure that I don't go there for nothing. Will they fix it/replace it without any doubt or is it unsure?

Thanks for the reply!

Arne from Belgium

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3, 16GB Space Grey

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 2:55 PM

12 replies

Jan 17, 2014 1:20 PM in response to ArneBelgium

I recieved my IPhone 5s for christmas. Within the first 10 minutes of use, the home button started sticking and clicking. Now the finger print scanner stops working, and the screen itself is loose. It wiggles along with a dead spot on the screen....Also I haven't dropped it, it has been in an otter box since the begining. Worst apple product experience. I've been an apple user for 10 years.

Oct 13, 2015 10:57 AM in response to ArneBelgium

December 2013 I bought a new 5S/32. After a few months the screen start to come loose in the upper right corner. The problem got worse and worse and in November 2014 I got a new 5S/32 on warranty. After a few months the screen on the 2nd phone started to come loose in the same place - upper right corner. Now the warranty had experied and it wasn't so easy to get a new phone but Swedish law gives me 3 years "consumer right" so I got a new in July 2015 - my third 5S/32. Guess what, now the screen on the 3d 5S/32 has started to come loose also! Same upper right corner and after the same time, ~3 months. What is this? If this is a rare problem then how come I get 3 faulty phones in row? I'm fed up with having to be without phone during repair/exchange, fed up with having to argue about the complaint with service, fed up with having to transfer and restore all data etc. There isn't as much as a tiny visible scratch on my phone and it has never been dropped. Same with the previous faulty ones - not a scratch! What shall I do to get a working phone? I have other things to do in life than to chase your service and travel over and over to the service centre. And what happens when my 3 years consumer rights laws are at end and I have had a couple more 5S/32? I won't be covered then and Apple will get away with it. Why isn't there an online support choice for issues like this? Why isn't there an email address where I can send reports like this? Shall I go public with this problem in some newspaper or in social media to get an answer from Apple about what to do? All I want is a working phone that lasts a little bit longer than 3 months before the screen starts to pop out of the frame.

Oct 13, 2015 2:42 PM in response to diesel vdub

For your information, the "Contact Us" link doesn't lead anywhere for this issue. There are no choices for any production/quality control/construction errors and all other ways leads to that I would have to pay for a support call or chat. Why would I pay to get support in this case? This is my 3d iP5S in row in 1.5 years with exactly the same problem!

Oct 13, 2015 3:08 PM in response to _MacArthur_

That is very interesting that someone is unable to read the Contact Us page and find a phone number. I'm able to pull up the Swiss Contact page and while I cannot read the language, I can easily figure out that the contact number is 0800 845 123. Ask nicely (without the attitude shared here) for Customer Care and I'm certain they will be able to assist.

Oct 14, 2015 11:35 AM in response to diesel vdub

Sometimes people go to support forums without expecting much help but just to see if there are other users who had similar problems, and how they solved it.
The Swiss number is of as much use to me in Sweden as the US number. It's ~1200 km (750 miles) between Sweden (Volvo, IKEA, Nobel Prize) and Switzerland (watches, banks, alps). I have already called the Swedish Apple Support and all help I get is that they suggest me to go and get a 4th 5S. That's no lasting solution. What happens if the screen pops out of that one too? Go get a 5th, 6th… until I'm out of the 3 years extended warranty?
Why do you bother to reply to a post when you have nothing to add except misdirected sarcasm? You do the same all over this forum and to others before in this thread. I suggest that you keep your thoughts to yourself if you have nothing substantial to add.

Oct 14, 2015 12:35 PM in response to diesel vdub

The 5S with me now is in absolute mint condition. It's 3 months old. There is not even a tiny scratch on it. It has hardly not been used because it's my private phone and I use my work phone during workdays. It just serves as my home phone, more or less. It was the same with the 2nd one - relly like new and not a scratch. Also the service place would never exchange it if there were any visible damages to it of course. You also know that there are built-in shock and moisture indicators in the 5S and if they were triggered I wouldn't get a new every time. The Apple authorized service company who did the warranty exchange both times before confirm that this is a very common problem for black 5S (not the white). Also Apple acknowledged when I called them that this a common 5S problem, but that they consider a small flex/gap tolerable and normal. Except in my case it starts with a small flex that becomes bigger and bigger until I can see the illumination shine trough the gap. This is clearly not a user error
Again, why do you reply when you have nothing substantial to add? You are of absolutely no assistance to anyone by trying to dismiss everyones real and confirmed problems. From the looks of it it's like if you're trying to defend Apple and their products no matter what, as if you think you're doing them a favour by doing so. There's a reason for why there's been a number of Apple products that gotten extended warranty in the end (I had several already) and I bet that if I look back in time on the forum I will see your sarcastic dismissing comments to those problems too. Someone has to report a problem and start a discussion among users before Apple acknowledge the problem and issue an extended warranty plan.

iPhone 5S loose screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.