Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21.5 dropping internet connection, NOT Wi-Fi.

~

I've gone through the forums pretty well, but can't seem to find a solution for this.

Hooked up a brand-new iMac 21.5 at my mother's house. The internet connection is not Wi-Fi, but an ethernet cable between the iMac and the cable modem (likely a Toshiba, but I haven't checked.)

It seems that the iMac is continually dropping the internet connection. I tried setting up a new network location, as that worked on my older iMac under Wi-Fi, but it didn't work. Turned off Wi-Fi just to be sure. Same result.

Before I spend eternal hours down there under her glaring gaze -- with her wondering why her new machine won't work -- can anyone clue me in as to why the iMac is dropping a hard-wired ethernet connection?

I've seen a lot of notes about the Wi-Fi being a "sleep" issue. Doing a coldstart every day doesn't seem the best way to do things.

Thanks!

Rob

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Brand new

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:20 PM

1 reply

iMac 21.5 dropping internet connection, NOT Wi-Fi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.