Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X accessibility query with Voiceover

Hello.

I do hope someone can help here regarding Logic Pro X before I intend on purchasing.

As I rely on Voiceover (running Mavericks) as a blind mac technician, I would like to know if Logic Pro X will work with Voiceover in terms of interaction with event windows, main arrange window, mixer window and other objects. In the past, both Logic studio 9 and 8 were NOT accessible at all, though a fix at the end of logic 9's cycle added a few small changes.

If anyone here can perform the following test, I would appreciate it.

1: launch Voiceover with Command F5

2: launch Logic Pro X.

3: use the following key combination to hear what is said about each object. for sighted users, a voiceover cursor (adjustable square / rectangular block over the object) is shown. it will speak items. The key combos are:

Control Option Right arrow,

Control Option Left arrow,

Control Option Up arrow,

Control Option Down arrow.

To interact with an object, window or menu, it's Control option Shift Down Arrow, To stop interacting, Control Option Shift Up arrow.

If anyone is willing to run some test and publish answers, I would appreciate it.

Cheers.

ed

OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.66ghz i7l, 8gb, 2 x 512gb SSD's

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 2:54 PM

It’s sad nobody answered that in two years. I’m pretty sure you’ve found your answer by now, but the question still pops high in Google results on Logic accessibility.

As of 2015, Logic Pro X partially reports controls to VoiceOver. Navigation between groups works fine, but accessibility of different groups varies. Mixer is especially bad: for some reason, VoiceOver won’t go beyond inserts, so I cannot adjust volume, mute a channel or operate on IO here. That’s strange, because volume, mute, solo and monitoring work well in Track Headers group. In Track Contents group, VoiceOver won’t allow me to move region boundaries, although handles are reported properly. In Inspector group, VoiceOver reads aloud meaningless information, like empty rows in a table marked with paired hyphens: ‘Dash. Dash’. Surprisingly, it doesn’t read track names, unless I interact with them. In a New Track dialog, pop-ups are not associated with their labels properly. All that feels rough. Insert plug-ins are only accessible as long as they are in ‘Controls’ mode (still imperfect, grouping is pretty bad, but they’re usable). That would be a general recommendation: if something can be put into ‘Controls’ view mode, it should be; in that mode, all fancy graphics is gone, and the UI basically falls back to standard system controls, which are a priori more accessible.

Practically speaking, I find it possible to prepare a channel strip, record sound and work with inserts. Beyond that, Logic’s accessibility ends, or so it seems.

Disclaimer: I’m not blind, I use VoiceOver occasionally, so I might miss something.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Community User

It’s sad nobody answered that in two years. I’m pretty sure you’ve found your answer by now, but the question still pops high in Google results on Logic accessibility.

As of 2015, Logic Pro X partially reports controls to VoiceOver. Navigation between groups works fine, but accessibility of different groups varies. Mixer is especially bad: for some reason, VoiceOver won’t go beyond inserts, so I cannot adjust volume, mute a channel or operate on IO here. That’s strange, because volume, mute, solo and monitoring work well in Track Headers group. In Track Contents group, VoiceOver won’t allow me to move region boundaries, although handles are reported properly. In Inspector group, VoiceOver reads aloud meaningless information, like empty rows in a table marked with paired hyphens: ‘Dash. Dash’. Surprisingly, it doesn’t read track names, unless I interact with them. In a New Track dialog, pop-ups are not associated with their labels properly. All that feels rough. Insert plug-ins are only accessible as long as they are in ‘Controls’ mode (still imperfect, grouping is pretty bad, but they’re usable). That would be a general recommendation: if something can be put into ‘Controls’ view mode, it should be; in that mode, all fancy graphics is gone, and the UI basically falls back to standard system controls, which are a priori more accessible.

Practically speaking, I find it possible to prepare a channel strip, record sound and work with inserts. Beyond that, Logic’s accessibility ends, or so it seems.

Disclaimer: I’m not blind, I use VoiceOver occasionally, so I might miss something.

Nov 11, 2015 7:54 PM in response to Klim Lee

I’m a blind musician, and one of the big big reasons I came over to the Mac from Windows, is because I wanted to be able to use Logic, Protools, GarageBand, etc… with VoiceOver with out having to have extra add ons, plugins, or what not installed on one of the Windows Screen-readers I use for editing with. I came over from Sonar V 8.5.3.2 with using screen-reader Jaws for Windows from freedom Scientific and I was using the Jaws scripts from Dancing Dots, a company that makes things tailored for visually impaird

people that are in to creating music. But Windows itself has started to change a lot and from what I was told at the time they were pretty much forcing people to update from Win7 or whatever to 10. I’ve always wanted to get a Mac for Music work, and filanny have one and I’m really loving it! I just would like for the people who work on the programing for these apps to make them more usable with VoiceOver. I’d love to be able to use Logic and GarageBand 100% with out having to use 3 or 4 apps just to get a project done. That would take a long time and if I have to work in a studio, honestly that’s not very ideal. Logic’s great though. I would really love to be able to use it though. There could be really good shortcut keys for VoiceOver that could work in Logic and also give Feedback too. I like the idea of Command+Up/Down arrow to move things up, or down; witch is used in the Voiceover Web/roter settings. I was thinking that could also be used there too, and Command+Left=Right could be Next/Prior region, or something like that. Just my thoughts.

Logic Pro X accessibility query with Voiceover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.