Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Thunderbolt Bridge

Since upgrading to Mavericks (not sure that has anything to do with it) I get a message whenever I go into System Settings Network to make any changes. There is no option to actually verify settings nor is there a way to just ignore. I can't even close System Preferences without pressing the OK button (which is only choice). This seems rather strange to me. also, the "padlock has disappeared from lower leftt corner (or was it ever there)? I know it IS there in other parts of Sytem Settings as I have always had this password protected. Wondering if this is normal for Mavericks. Help! As always, much appreciated. Below is the message that comes up when I attempt to check/change Network settimgs:

New Interface Detected

a new network has been detected:

Thunderbolt Bridge

Please verify that it is configured correctly, then press Apply to activate it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2017 1:56 PM

Same thing with my wireless connection. So strange that the padlock would be inaccessable. Like @SuperflyTNT, I hope these amount of bugs and lack of testing is not the new normal with Apple.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Right click on System Preferences in the Dock.
  2. Hold down Alt to bring up 'Force Quit' and click 'Force Quit'
  3. Log out of my non-admin account. This assumes you have a separate admin account, and you should for security reasons.
  4. Log in with my admin account.
  5. Go to System Preferences (Apple logo >> System Preferences >> Network).
  6. Dialogue to add Thunderbolt Bridge as a new interface appears.
  7. Change 'Configure IPv4' to Off. This assumes you're not going to use this feature (see @tbirdvetclastlast comment above)
  8. Click OK.

So far no problems with wirless but I have only been using it for 3 hours or so.

Workarounds:

As a workaround if you don't have an admin account or the above doesn't work for you, you can turn your wireless on and off to get it work again.

Or, if you have an admin account, don't want to logout yet, and get tired of clicking, use this command in terminal with admin account:

sudo ifconfig en0 down; sleep 3; sudo ifconfig en0 up

Where en0 is your wireless or ethernet connection found using command 'ifconfig' without any args. Look for the one that has your IP address in inet.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2017 1:56 PM in response to gabriel1978

Same thing with my wireless connection. So strange that the padlock would be inaccessable. Like @SuperflyTNT, I hope these amount of bugs and lack of testing is not the new normal with Apple.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Right click on System Preferences in the Dock.
  2. Hold down Alt to bring up 'Force Quit' and click 'Force Quit'
  3. Log out of my non-admin account. This assumes you have a separate admin account, and you should for security reasons.
  4. Log in with my admin account.
  5. Go to System Preferences (Apple logo >> System Preferences >> Network).
  6. Dialogue to add Thunderbolt Bridge as a new interface appears.
  7. Change 'Configure IPv4' to Off. This assumes you're not going to use this feature (see @tbirdvetclastlast comment above)
  8. Click OK.

So far no problems with wirless but I have only been using it for 3 hours or so.

Workarounds:

As a workaround if you don't have an admin account or the above doesn't work for you, you can turn your wireless on and off to get it work again.

Or, if you have an admin account, don't want to logout yet, and get tired of clicking, use this command in terminal with admin account:

sudo ifconfig en0 down; sleep 3; sudo ifconfig en0 up

Where en0 is your wireless or ethernet connection found using command 'ifconfig' without any args. Look for the one that has your IP address in inet.

Oct 29, 2013 7:39 AM in response to gabriel1978

This happens on my Mac Mini too. Doesn't seem to be computer specific, rather, a bug with Mavericks. Plus, it's messing up my Ehternet connection. As soon as this message started appearing, my Ethernet connection started going up and down like someone was plugging in and out the cable. Can't get a consistent connection to the Internet now. This is really affecting my productivity and making me regret being an early adopter. Not to go off on a tangent, but iOS was (still is) a bug ridden mess too. Something seems to be up at Apple in 2013. Not used to this level of sub-standard software testing. Hopefull it's not the new normal.

Message was edited by: SuperflyTNT

Nov 6, 2013 9:34 AM in response to SuperflyTNT

I'm having this issue with the inconsistent ethernet connection as well! Where I work there's a wireless network that's password protected, so the login screen for the wireless network keeps popping up even if I have an ethernet cord plugged in. I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina that's almost exactly a year old. It's driving me INSANE, and the only way to stop it is to turn off my Wi-Fi every time I'm at work.

Mar 13, 2014 10:15 AM in response to gabriel1978

Yeah, it's weird. I updated to Mavericks a couple weeks ago, but this problem didn't come up until this morning. Mail wouldn't work, same with browsers. I went to network preferences, deleted the Thunderbolt Bridge thing, and it didn't fix anything. Restarting didn't help. But I shut down completely, waited a minute or so, and started it up. Problem is gone. For now at least....

May 29, 2014 7:20 AM in response to gabriel1978

I have a personal iMac along with a macBookPro that is connected to a thunderbolt display. Both had worked fine until my personal machine installed the update yesterday. This morning both machines displayed green indicator lights next to the wifi status but every device showed safari no connection page except my work macBookPro was able to maintain it's connection AND the remote desktop sessions while remaining functional. The iMac displayed the same message:

New Interface Detected

a new network has been detected:

Thunderbolt Bridge

Please verify that it is configured correctly, then press Apply to activate it.

On my iMac, I went into System Preferences and removed the thunderbolt bridge from the list on the left; Then restarted the machine. (I thought it was getting crossed with my work display/thunderbolt settings)

Now wifi works again. Confused on if I really fixed the issue or just temporarily resolved it.

Dec 2, 2015 12:16 PM in response to gabriel1978

Gentlemen, I hate to break this bad news to you but someone was trying to penetrate your wifi and hopscotch to both use your internet and to access your system files. A thunderbolt bridge is a technique used by someone with access to your ISP's external or internal wiring and is the beginning of your system being RAT'd by an OSX trojan, something such as JRAT. Investigate all aspects of your hardware and consider all possible suspects, if you have the ability to do so. I am saying this to you in light of my being a victim of such an attack and to help any parties who read this "thunderbolt bridge interface" popup. The reason it lacks a padlock is because it is a disguised, the offender attempting to come across as legitimate. You are admins of your LAN; you must defend your network by not clicking that pop up and doing as those in this thread mentioned, force closing it. Sleeping your interface, waking it, etc. I do not recommend ever clicking the pop up and then in a second or two clicking "making inactive" or deleting it. If the padlock is there when you get this pop up, the offending party doesn't have admin access. If it is not there, he does and he is trying to bypass your network security with one click. I am quite surprised no one suggested this as the most probable reason that pop up appears.

Network Thunderbolt Bridge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.