Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download speeds dead in Mavericks!

I'm completely confused. I have a 12Mb internet connections that works great. I've upgraded my Mac Mini, MBP, and MB Air to Mavericks. Since then, my download speeds have gone from over 1MB/sec to about 50-60kb/sec. Doesn't matter if it's from the iTunes Store, a random website, or my web FTP servers.

I can't figure out what in Mavericks could possibly have caused this. I went to speedtest.net to make sure it wasn't my connection, but I get the 12-15Mb speeds through that test. To be sure, I've rebooted my modem and gone through all those normal steps. It is definitely NOT my internet connection. It's something about the Mavericks install.

Anyone else have this happen? Any thoughts as to what I can do to fix it?

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 5:57 PM

2 replies

Oct 31, 2013 7:14 AM in response to Jeremy Whitted

I have this problem too and only since upgrading to Mavericks.

I'm downloading an Adobe program and it's averaging about 50-500 kbps. For a while, it sat at 199 for the better part of an hour. It occassionally goes up to 1.5 mbps...but only for a few moments before dropping to the 50-150 kbps range.

I've checked speedtest.net and it shows my speed ranging between 5-10 mbps depending on the time of day. The same results show on my iPhone using the OpenSignal app.

I changed by wireless wire channel over to 1 from 11 and that improved a bit, but not much.

I also pulled out my 4 year old Sony Viao and started downloading the same file. It's processing speed and RAM is glacial compared to my new iMac (just bought it 4 weeks ago). While Windows doesn't display the actual download speed that I can find, the progress showed it would beat my iMac. (The iMac has been downloading for over an hour and only at about 60%....the Sony Viao was at about 20% in 5 minutes.)

I'm with you Jeremy....is there a solution to this issue?

Dec 18, 2013 7:46 AM in response to Jeremy Whitted

I am also experiencing this. I am connected through the ethernet interface. I have 2 MBP's, and a co-worker also has a Macbook Pro and we updated them all to Mavericks. After the update, we have experienced that the download speed when downloading a file starts out very fast but quickly slows down to under 200kb/second and then slowly just gets slower and slower.

The Non-Apple brand laptops that are connected to the same network are not experiencing this issue, and it just started after updating to Mavericks. So I know it has something to do with the OS.

We just updated to 10.9.1, but the same issue still exists.

Note that in Safari, if I continually stop and restart the download when it slows down (after a couple of seconds) I can usually download the files a lot faster. This does not work for all filetypes though.

Please tell us how to fix this as it is really hampering our productivity.

Download speeds dead in Mavericks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.