Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it taking so long to import photos to my iphone and ipad?

My configuration: iMac 2007, 10.9, OS 7.0.3 on all devices, iPhoto directory on external Firewire drive.

It's always taken a while for my devices to complete the "Importing photos" step of the syncing process - maybe 2-5 minutes.

Since the iOS 7 update, and iTunes 11.1, that process is taking up the 30 minutes! I have a very large iPhoto libray (260 gb and over 49,000 items) that is stored on an external Firewire drive. All that is set to sync are several relatively small photo albums that rarely change, and a smart album consisting of "Last 3 Months." The sync takes forever, regardless of whether any new photos have been added recently. I'm seeing the same behavior on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 10:23 PM

20 replies

Nov 7, 2013 8:10 PM in response to Louis Block

Same issue. Maybe mine is more of an iPhoto issue.

iMac 2007 with Latest Software iPhoto 9.5(902.7), iOS 7.03 on iPhone 4S/iPad 2 or even SD Card reader or Olympus OM-D EM-1.

Blew the iPhoto Cache away as the 'Old Toad' suggested. Restarted, Opened iPhoto, things work fine (although a fair bit slower, but acceptable). Plugin iPhone, it mounts on the left sidebar but then the beachall starts and sits there until I force quit iPhoto.

Restarted and same issue. hmmm.... at least my iTunes synced but it took a LOT longer than usual.

It's hard to manage this as I have no other options in managing my photos. It's amazing, really haven't had as many issues that I've had with these upgrades. Uusally I install Apples latest and I have no issues, even feels zippier. That can't be farther from the truth this time as have had, Apple TV (Bricked for a bit), Garageband, iMovie and now these issues. Maybe the iMac 2007 wasn't meant to live.

Any direction would be appreciated. Apples been updating things lately (Garageband, Mail, iBooks) so maybe tomorrow an iPhoto update will appear.

If not, I may be looking at some sort of new system.

Sigh.

Nov 8, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Old Toad

I opened an alternate library I don't usually sync to. It synced with the phone just fine, in a normal amount of time. This library was 14.31GB in size, and is also on the same external drive as my primary library. By comparison, the library I usually sync with is 252.37GB, and contains 49,154 items.

I guess my next step will be to attempt repair and rebuild the library, though that will obviously take a long time. I have repaired the photo's permissions already, with no change.

Nov 8, 2013 11:35 AM in response to Louis Block

That show that your original library is damaged and needs to be repaired. Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #4 to rebuild the database.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

Nov 10, 2013 9:28 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. I'm into day 2 of a rebuild using iPhoto Library Manager.

The process is taking even longer, as every few minutes it's interrupted by the message "Unreadable Files: The following file could not be imported. (The file is in an unrecognized format)". The file types are almost always movies (MOV, AVI, and MP4s), although I've seen a few PCT and PNG files. Each time this happens, I take a screen shot of the message for help finding the files later.

I know I had created a smart album in my old directory for movies (using file type). I suppose I could use that to export and re-import into my new library afterwards, though they'll lose their association with specific events/albums.

Also, while watching the import occur, I'm seeing quite a few horizontal shots that should be vertical. I didn't thing there were as many as I'm seeing go by.

Any suggestions?

Nov 12, 2013 9:15 PM in response to Louis Block

Something's not right in the process, for sure.

It takes far longer than it ever did before recent updates.

I, too, have a very large iPhoto library, but that hasn't changed appreciably in recent months. And I don't sync many photos to my iPhone, and on most syncs no new photos require syncing. But yeah, during every sync, the Updating Photos stage just takes waaaaay longer than it should.

Nov 17, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Louis Block

I agree in that the sync process is broken somewhere.

I have the same config as you Louis (iMac, OS versions), and also have my iPhoto library on an external drive. During the Step 5 "Import Photos" my external drive hardly does a thing. I suspect this phase is actually iTunes trying to understand what photos are already on the iPhone. I don't think that iTunes/iPhoto is trying to make images formatted for the iPhone as there isn't enough disk actvity at this time.

iTunes is lost - it is consuming a lot of CPU time, but I suspect what it is doing isn't useful. It just takes way too long.

Nov 19, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Old Toad

After a 5 day ⚠ rebuild by iPhoto Library Manager, I'm still having the issue. Although the rebuild probably did some good overall, I am still faced with the iTunes photo sync issue.

I lost many, if not most, of my video files in the new library. I thought I'd be able to easily export them from the old library and reimport them, but it has proven harder than I realized to identify the video files based on a filename search. Since the original problem has not been solved, I will probably revert to using the original library.

I have to assume that this new issue is either a bug in the newer versions of iTunes, or a limitation of using an older Mac with Apple's more recent software. Frustrating nonetheless.

Jan 5, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Louis Block

I also had this issue and have been troubleshooting with Apple Support for months. I have found the cause and believe the solution will not be provided until Apple addresses the bug.

The issue is caused by movies. It doesn't matter if they were filmed on an iPhone or another digital camera but something has happened during a past upgrade that has currupted the handling of our movie files.

The catalyst that helped me identify this was installing Apeture. Any movies imported prior to my installation of Apeture now cannot be exported from iPhoto. Any movies exported post installation of Apeture have the date of export intead of the original date of filming.

I repaired & rebuilt my iPhoto Library... problem still existed.

I created a new iPhoto library and exported my photos (most movies wouldn't export so just exported photos). Tried syncing with iOS devices... no more "Importing Photos" for 4-15 minutes

Added movies to iPhoto and even if I leave the "include Videos" unchecked the "Importing Photos" returns and goes for minutes.

I have sent my findings to Apple and will advise if their engineers give any idea of when this will be fixed.

Jan 5, 2014 3:51 PM in response to cdunk

Thanks for the info, cdunk. Glad to see I'm not crazy. Now if there were a way to export my movies from my old library. I'm fine with using iPhoto for photos only, but I don't want to lose all those old movies.

Although I was unable to find a way to create a smart album in iPhoto to pull together all of my videos, I did create a smart folder in the finder. It shows me all files where "kind" is "movie" within the iPhoto Library. I suppose there may be some way I can remove them from the library at the finder level, but I know that'd confuse the heck out of iPhoto.

Rather than start another 5 day rebuild experiment, I think I'll wait until Apple responds.

Apr 25, 2014 7:16 AM in response to Old Toad

My problem is similar but with a different twist. I have been taking pictures on my iPhone forever adn importing them into iPhoto, and I would delete some but not all of the pictures from my iPhone. I recently decided to free up some space on my iPhone, so I deleted all of he pictures in my Camera Roll. All the picturs there were already in iPhoto, and I just created an album of the picturs I wanted and have set that up in iTunes to sync to the iPhone. So this makes sense and I am finally starting to use iPhone/iPhoto/iTunes the way it is intended.

But now when I connect my iPhone, iPhoto starts its usual routine of checking to see what photos to import. If I have no new photos, iPhoto hangs up on "loading" forever. But if there is even one picture to import, no problem. So with iPhoto hung up, I can unplug my iPhone, take a random snapshot, plug it back in and am immediately asked if I want to import the one photo.

I can import it or not. If I do not, every time I unplug and replug the iPhone, I get immediately prompted about importing one photo. If I import it, I can unplug I and replug the iPhone, close and restart iPhoto, and each time it briefly does the loading routine and in a matter of seconds shows me the last photo imported and tells me that all photos have been imported.

But when I delete that photo, I go back to the hangup on "loading" problem. It turns out that as long as there is one photo in my Camera Roll, everything works perfectly. When the Camera Roll on my iPhone is empty, iPhoto can't handle it.

So for now I am just leaving a picture in my camera roll. Not sure if this behavior suggest a corrupted datsabase that needs to be rebuilt, but I will give that a try at some point.

Why is it taking so long to import photos to my iphone and ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.