Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Retina MBP Mavericks booting into discrete graphics, stuck on it

I have a 15" 2012 Retina MBP from 2012 that I recently upgraded to Mavericks. When I boot it goes straight to the discrete Nvidia graphics and stays there. I have it on battery and have verified that Automatic Graphics Switching is turned on in Energy Saver. I have tried toggling the setting to trigger Integrated graphics, but no luck. After seeing complaints about Google Chrome potentially forcing discrete graphics, I uninstalled it. Still on Nvidia graphics.

I have been using Activity Monitor's new Energy tab to verify the "High Perf." value instead of "Integrated" is appearing, as well as all apps having a "No" or "-" value for "Require High Perf GPU". I've also been going to System Information and verifying that NVIDIA shows up instead of Intel under Graphics.

It's worth mentioning that while Mavericks provided the ability for me to prove this is happening, I've been suspecting this is a problem for some time. I still have AppleCare I believe, so I'll be calling them when I have time but may not be able to do so until the weekend. I'll update the post then. Until then, if anyone has any ideas on how to see what is forcing the battery-draining Nvidia card to turn on I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 9:51 PM

1 reply

2012 Retina MBP Mavericks booting into discrete graphics, stuck on it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.