Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to downgrade to mountain lion from mavericks?

Hi,

I've just purchased a MacBook pro retina (A1398) with OS X Mavericks. It works fine, but I'm not able to install Avid Media Composer on it as Avid doesn't support Mavericks yet. It does support Mountain Lion however, so I really would like to downgrade to it for the time being. How can I downgrade? I'm not able to download the Mountain Lion installer.app from the App Store. Would it be possible to downgrade via the HD recovery mode, while booting os x pushing ctrl alt cmd?

Please advise.

Vinnie

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 1:19 AM

7 replies

Nov 16, 2013 3:42 AM in response to steev74

I have same issue, feel quite interested about it. No Apple Staff can provide any information ?

Issue regarding Mavericks:

1. No 3 fingers gesture to backward or furthur inside Finder

2. Not able to check other single email inside Mail when create a new one.

I don't like Mavericks, please just provide some drivers for OS X 10.8.2 --10.8.5... Thanks.

Nov 16, 2013 3:47 AM in response to steev74

The only way to down grade any new Mac that came with Mavericks preinstalled is if at one time that same system, or one that is extremely similar, came with the previous version of OS X. If it didn't then there is absolutely no way to downgrade it. And if it did the only way to do it is to find one of those systems that had the previous version and create an installed thumb drive from it with that older version.

That is not likely with the newest MBPs as they all came with Mavericks.

Mar 19, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Andrew_to

I have just successfully downgraded from Mavericks to Mountain Lion (my previous OS System). I used Time Machine to reinstall Mountain Lion.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11181?viewlocale=en_US

I followed the instructions very carefully and in order, after having backed up all my documents, exported mail etc. to disk before I started.

I was impressed by the way this happened - my only problem that I found was that my Adobe CS4 kept throwing up a message that the Licence had run out because I had forgotten to de-activate it. However, I completely uninstalled the App before using the original disk to reinstall it and although it took a long time and notices kept popping up to say that a new version of 'Air' was required, I clicked on it and the installation carried on. Once completed it worked better than it had previously. The updates came along once I had restarted the machine.

It worked for me and I am happily working away on a system I prefer.

Hope this helps.

How to downgrade to mountain lion from mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.