Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solved: Motorola SBG6580 connection slow: turn off WMM support

We installed a new Motorola SBG6580 combo unit (cable modem + router) and everything was fine for non-Macintosh devices connecting through Wifi, but the Mac was slowed to the point of uselessness.

Instafix: turn off WMM Support under "Wireless" using the Motorola software.

- go to the router's IP address as given to you in the product box.

- log in according to the default name and password given to you within the user guide on the cd that comes in the box

- click "Wireless" on top menu bar

- click off "WMM Support" and "Apply"

Voilà.

I read elsewhere that turning off the firewall and IP flood detection would help, but these were defaulted to Low and Off in my case.

I got the info on a Comcast forum when someone quoted this:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Internet-VERY-VERY-Slow -Lag-through-wifi/td-p/1335759http://brikis98.blogspot.com/2012/02/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload.html?m=1

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:27 AM

3 replies

Dec 26, 2013 10:01 PM in response to caco44

Did this not change the wireless to G speed? I had to do this to get consisistent internet connectivity but it caused my Ipad mini to revert to G. I tried switching "802.11 N support required" to ON and this resulted in no connection at all. SO WMM has to be enabled to get N, but then you resort back to intermittent, or no, internet access (still shows connection to wireless). If you somehow retained N speed through various settings please share! Thakns

Feb 6, 2015 11:35 AM in response to inzombia1

Wanted to say THANKS! I had the same issue. My hardwired laptop was getting close to 50 Mbps (which is what I pay for). My iPhone, iPad and other wireless laptop were all getting < 1 Mbps. Turning off WMM made an instant difference in wi-fi. Now getting ~40 Mbps.

Interesting that Arris Tech Support didn't mention this at all when I live chatted with them. They wanted me to keep trying channel combinations and wait 20 minutes for things to "settle" before re-testing.

Thanks!!

Solved: Motorola SBG6580 connection slow: turn off WMM support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.