Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Macbook Pro?

Hi All,

My school is beginning a laptop trial next year and I am interested in a Macbook pro.

I currently have a Acer laptop that is: AMD A4-3300M APU wih Radeon (tm) hd graphics 1.90Ghtz and 4.00GB of ram - 3.74GB available.

My problem is that every 2 months i have to do a full factory reset and restore on my 2 year old Acer Aspire 15.7".

I am tossing up between a 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display Macbook Pro or a 15-inch: 2.3GHz with Retina display. Will the 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display Macbook Pro become really slow in 2 yrs time when i use it for downloading iTunes videos, pages, numbers, keynotes and youtube, or should I upgrade it to 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz. Basically my problem is slowness. My current laptop is sooo slow, so i want to know if I continue to use this 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display Macbook Pro will it go slow in less than 5 years?

Many thanks.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7, Siri

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:30 AM

9 replies

Oct 29, 2013 6:37 AM in response to iBenjaminCrowley

Your expectations of the computer may change in the next two years, however. If you purchase it for the purposes you state above, then some new wonderful thing becomes available and you get it, and it slows the machine down, or even just doesn't work as well as a brand new computer, it is not due to the computer hardware.

We can't predict the future. All we can do is prepare for it as best we can.

Best of luck.

Oct 29, 2013 7:31 AM in response to iBenjaminCrowley

All computers get slow over time, the more powerful ones do so in less time.

With Apple the machines slow down faster because there are more OS X upgrades than there is on Windows.

On Windows there is more updates, and of course anti-virus, which a lot of Mac users now also have to run it too.

Both on most Mac's and Windows machines, they are purposely underpowered as to appeal to people based on lower price, but disguise it's useful lifespan and force one into a faster hardware upgrade cycle.

So your paying more over time if you don't know what your looking at in hardware and chosing the right operating system.

After all both Apple, PC vendors and Microsoft benefit from a increased hardware turnover rate.

The web is growing more feature rich, programs get more bloated (especially Chrome), as developers try to make their software more appealing so you buy another copy.

3D games especially need very powerful hardware and the ability to upgrade the video card, which can no longer be done on nearly all Mac's, except the old silver case MacPro's which are soon to be obsolete by the new one coming.

With nearly all Mac's now, what you buy is what your stuck with. So boning up on the RAM and a SSD right away is important as you can't upgrade performance later. 😟

I currently have a Acer laptop that is: AMD A4-3300M APU wih Radeon (tm) hd graphics 1.90Ghtz and 4.00GB of ram - 3.74GB available.

My problem is that every 2 months i have to do a full factory reset and restore on my 2 year old Acer Aspire 15.7".

First off you have a 1.9 Ghz processor with integrated graphics, it's basically a bare bones computer good for surfing, emailing and lite office like work.

Your processor performance rank is a measly 1013, where #1 would be best.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

You likely bought it cheap as it's all you can afford, problem is a processor that low powered isn't going to last very long, however if your prone ot dropping or losing it, then it's a idea "more disposable" machine due to it's low price.

Even though I have a powerful expensive Mac costing over $3000, I have a few "cheapies" running Linux for portable needs as well.

Your problem is you don't know your computers hardware or how to go about finding out, so your not able to make informed decisions on your performance for dollars purchases.

Windows PC's come in all types and price points, but their components are individually priced and evaluated so you can make a more informed decison if you knew how.

If your looking at getting a Mac, the only value ones are the most powerful models in each class, the lower grade models tend to do exactly like your machine is doing, being underpowered and goes obsolete sooner.

Difference is, despite the Mac and PC having the same hardware, your going to be paying a LOT more for the Mac turnover than on the PC, just because of the name and a few more attributes that don't amount to much.

On a Mac, your also paying for innovation by Apple, which gives it's own headaches but a first shot at newer advances that will eventually come to PC's later on.

So it makes sense if your in the market for a powerful computer, to buy a powerful Mac and make it last 5-7 years or even longer. Provided you can do that, and not have it stolen.

If your rough on hardware and can't afford the 3 years of AppleCare, the annual OS X and third party upgrades, still have to run Windows to keep your skills up there (as it's 93% market share) and also purchase it's software, then it's not a good idea for you now.

i want to know if I continue to use this 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display Macbook Pro will it go slow in less than 5 years?

It most certainly will go slower in under 5 years, because Apple will upgrade OS X and third party software will bloat their features etc., to run well on the newer processors coming.

It's unreasonaable to expect any laptop made today to last longer than 5 years, the lower powered Mac's will last less now due to Apple decreasing the graphics performance on MacBook Pro's in favor of dropping the dedicated graphics. They are trying to exend the battery life and that means low graphics performance.

Should I upgrade it to 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz.

The top of the line 15" MacBook Pro has the additional Nvida graphics processor which will greatly prolong the Mac's lifespan as it's offloading some of the graphics and generally be a cooler machine because the two sources of heat generation is seperated and there are two fans.

If your in the market for a long term portable Mac that lasts a long time, this is the only model I advise buying.

Problem is of course is dust, somehow you have to ask or get Apple to annually clean the dust out of the machine or it will overheat and die sooner, depending how dusty your environments are.

Also don't upgrade OS X unless your under the 3 year AppleCare coverage due to the possibly of the firmware/driver breaking the hardware due to unseen defects.

Since a Mac is all on the logicboard, any repair means replacing the entire computer guts.

If your looking for a lot more longevity, being able to upgrade the video card, cleaning out the dust and replacing keyboard, mouse, monitor., etc. I advise a PC tower instead with Windows 7 preferably.

Mac's are not cheap, and the lowe rprices ones do not offer better value because of their higher price.

OS X changes every year, Windows versions last 10 years at a time.

99% of all businesses, governments and corporations use Windows machines, so even if you have a Mac, your going to have to install Windows on it to keep your skills up for employment purposes.

I want you to get a Mac, but it has to be for the right reasons and your wondering if the higher price of Mac's means it will last longer.

I would say so for the high end models, provided you take extremely gentle care of it, not even using the built in keyboard and trackpad, using disposable wired or wireless ones instead.

Hope this assists. 🙂

Oct 29, 2013 8:15 AM in response to ds store

ds store wrote:

All computers get slow over time, the more powerful ones do so in less time.

Your fundamental premise is incorrect. Take any MBP and restore it to the 'out of the box' configuration and there will be NO detectable performance difference. What it added by the user will have an affect on performance. To suggest that age alone has an adverse affect on performance is a false assumption.

Ciao.

Nov 1, 2013 8:56 PM in response to iBenjaminCrowley

Again, it is not the speed of the machine that changes, it is your expectations of it that make a difference. If you use the same software and data with the same hardware, you will get the same result. It is when you put newer software - which might be more processor intensive or require more RAM or disk space - on a computer that has hardware that may not be up to date that things slow down.

I would disagree with PV about getting a smaller SSD, however. Expect applications and data to always get bigger over time. Carrying around an external HD is not always convenient, and sometimes may not even be possible. If you have a lot of data - say photographs, digital music, movies, etc, they will chew up 128GB in nothing flat. If you are on a really tight budget, yeah, a smaller internal SSD + a nice external HD would be acceptable, but if you can afford it, get a bigger internal.

Best of luck.

Nov 1, 2013 9:42 PM in response to laundry bleach

laundry bleach

I would disagree with PV about getting a smaller SSD, however. Expect applications and data to always get bigger over time. Carrying around an external HD is not always convenient, and sometimes may not even be possible. If you have a lot of data - say photographs, digital music, movies, etc, they will chew up 128GB in nothing flat.

theyll 'chew' up a 512gig SSD just as fast. 500gig in pics and vids and music is nothing.

Ive got 50+ APPS on a macbook Air and 10gig of DATA...., with 86gig left.

Any notebook with a SSD (or any laptop in general) is not a storage device.

Never consider any computer a data storage device at any time under any circumstance, rather a data creation, sending, and manipulation device.

Unless you use it on a WEEKLY basis or so, theres no reason to have it ON the SSD, and MANY reasons to have it OFF the SSD.

If you can pack around an Air, you can pack a superslim HD......500gig USB superslim drives are only 7mm thick and cost $50

In the case of a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro Retina with ‘limited’ storage on the SSD, this distinction becomes more important in that in an ever rapidly increasing file-size world, you keep vital large media files, pics, video, PDF collections, music off your SSD and archived on external storage, for sake of the necessary room for your system to have free space to operate, store future applications and general workspace. You should never be put in the position of considering “deleting things” on your macbook SSD in order to ‘make space’.

Professionals who create and import very large amounts of data have almost no change in the available space on their computers internal HD because they are constantly archiving data to arrays of external or networked HD.

Or in the case of the consumer this means you keep folders for large imported or created data and you ritually offload and archive this data for safekeeping, not only to safeguard the data in case your macbook has a HD crash, or gets stolen, but importantly in keeping the ‘breathing room’ open for your computer to operate, expand, create files, add applications, for your APPS to create temp files, and for general operation.

In the Arena of SSD, all of them are "small" 😊

Which Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.