Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 update to ios7, not working error 21 and 3194

I recently update my iPhone 4 to ios7.

At first it worked great but all of a sudden it shut it self down, but I could just start it up again.

Over the course of 3 days this kept happening more and more often, until it shut down every time I wasn't doing anything on the device.

The day after that it wouldn't start anymore, only when I connected it to a charger it would come on again.

Then it would just reboot over and over again, with only the apple logo appearing on screen.

When I tried to put it in recovery mode and connect it to itunes it would stop after a while and never fully restore.

So I tried the same thing in DFU Mode and did a restore.

It didn't work and gave me an error 21 and after a while an error 3194.

I have also tried pressing shift + restore in itunes to manually put in an ipsw file, this didn't work as well (probably because of the downgrade restrictions Apple has put up after ios7 came out).

I was doubting if it was either a software or a hardware problem, but all the people I have talked to (friends, official apple store Amsterdam, although the genius bar was too crowded so I couldn't to someone there) say it is probably a software issue.

I think I am pretty much out of options here, and couldn't find a completely similar case in this community.

So I hope one of you knows more about this issue!

You would really help me out.

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:59 AM

1 reply

Oct 31, 2013 2:38 PM in response to iphonetv

Hello iphonetv

Error 21 typically occurs when there is security software interfering with that restore process. The 3194 error typical deals with the outdated restore file trying to be installed. Check out the articles below for further troubleshooting.

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3694

iOS: Restore error 3194 or 'This device isn't eligible for the requested build'

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4451

Regards,

-Norm G.

iPhone 4 update to ios7, not working error 21 and 3194

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.