Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Watch Videos on Safari 6.1 (OS X 10.8.5)?

It seems to be not possible to simply watch videos on Safari 6.1. Most places I go to require Adobe Flash Player or Microsoft Silverlight. Pretty weird. Anyway around this? I just came back back to Mac after a year and it all seems locked up Do I need to go over to Chrome? Suggestions please. Thank you!😕

MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.5

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 3:24 AM

16 replies

Oct 29, 2013 5:16 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks for responding! I couldn't find other/flashplayer in my system preferences. Wouldn't that only be there if I had other flash players? Which I dont think I have anyhow...

Ive had a horrible time trying to install Flash player (maybe because I chose the "notify me" option) Its told me three times that it was installed then was undetectable but it did show up on videos that I was trying to watch,

I didnt try to restart computer though I did quit Safari Would restarting computer really help?

Larger philosophical question for me is why we have to use a Google/Adobe app in an Apple system to view content? Doesn't Apple have anything we can use? Thanks so much dominic23!

Oct 29, 2013 5:45 AM in response to drZuk

drZuk wrote:

I couldn't find other/flashplayer in my system preferences. Wouldn't that only be there if I had other flash players? Which I dont think I have anyhow...

A new Mac comes without Flash Player pre-installed.

That is the reason why Flash Player is not listed in the System Preferences.

You have to download Flash Player fresh from the Adobe site,install it and restart the computer.

Launch Safari and allow it.

If Flash Player is installed it and videos are viewable, problem solved.

drZuk wrote:

Larger philosophical question for me is why we have to use a Google/Adobe app in an Apple system to view content? Doesn't Apple have anything we can use? Thanks so much dominic23!

These videos are provided by third parties. They have choosen Flash Player.

That requires us to have Flash Player installed to view those videos.

Apple has QuickTime Player. But these third party videos are not combatible.

Restart will not hurt.

Best.

Oct 29, 2013 7:01 AM in response to drZuk

Chrome has built-in Flash player. We do not need to have Flash Player installed to view

videos in Chrome.

Flash is no more preinstalled in a Mac.

To view Flash formatted videos in Safari, we have to download Flash Player and install it.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

In Safari 6.1 we can allow selective use of Flash Player, if it is installed.

Safari > Preferences > Security > Allow all other plug-ins:

Manage Website Settings. (button next to Allow all other plug-ins)

Oct 31, 2013 9:59 AM in response to drZuk

>>Is clicktoflash safe to download?

I'd say so, and it's easily stopped/uninstalled, like all Safari extensions.

>>any thoughts on Safari vs Chrome?

I don't use Chrome, couldn't be doing with the updater installs etc that it brought along

Chrome still uses Flash, but from files inside it, rather than a separately installed plug-in & preference pane.

With what exactly, and on which specific sites, do you have problems using Safari ?. If you want to use Safari - Dominic gave you instructions already.

Nov 4, 2013 9:34 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks, andyball. I just am generally having problems playing video on Safari (a lot of you tube videos, some FB videos, and site videos (eg Daily Show)). I was having troubling getting Adobe FP to download and install, I think because I was choosing to be notified on updates. It seems like everytime I wanted to watch a video, unknown sites were wanting to download data into my computer and that didnt/doesnt feel safe. I think adobe flash player and the clicktoflash download are installed on my computer now (I have chosen automatic update option for the time being), but I cant detect either of them using Finder. My adobe flash player seems to be working but I have to press a Flash box in the middle of screen to watch the videos- a bit cumbersome.

Also, to watch video with my Amazon prime membership, they are requiring that I download and use Microsoft Silverlight. Id really prefer not to use anything Microsoft on my MacBook Pro, but there doesnt seem to be any way around it. Playing videos using Chrome seem to be a lot less problematic, so Im considering using Safari as my regular browser and setting up Chrome as my video watching browser.

Suggestions are welcome!

Nov 4, 2013 9:46 AM in response to drZuk

>>but I have to press a Flash box in the middle of screen to watch the videos- a bit cumbersome...

That sounds like Clicktoflash - you can easily disable/uninstall it from Safari - Preferences - Extensions.

>>they are requiring that I download and use Microsoft Silverlight. Id really prefer not to use anything Microsoft on my MacBook Pro, but there doesnt seem to be any way around it.

There isn't, as with Netflix.

Nov 6, 2013 2:37 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks andy for continuing to stay with me on this.

>>That sounds like Clicktoflash - you can easily disable/uninstall it from Safari - Preferences - Extensions.

If I do that won't I then be unable to view my video?

>>any thoughts on Safari vs Chrome?

I don't use Chrome, couldn't be doing with the updater installs etc that it brought along

Isn't Adobe Flash Player doing updater installs as well?

On a related question, is there a way I can refresh this discussion in the general discussions group? I get the sense that this is not being seen very much.

Nov 6, 2013 3:06 PM in response to drZuk

>>If I do that won't I then be unable to view my video?

You've got Flash or the built-in HTML5 support; or you can configure clicktoflash/plugin to play automatically, using either.

>>Isn't Adobe Flash Player doing updater installs as well?

Only if enabled in System Preferences

>>is there a way I can refresh this discussion in the general discussions group? I get the sense that this is not being seen very much.

Start a new thread, with specific question(s).

Or ask here, since I'm not clear on what problems you have.

How Can I Watch Videos on Safari 6.1 (OS X 10.8.5)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.