Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no Data Loss!

Basically, any Pages file that has been modified and seemingly "overwritten" can be easily restored to its pre-5.0 state within Pages 5 by clicking File > Revert to > Browse All Versions and then selecting the previous version, clicking Restore and then closing Pages 5.0 without saving. That allows you to open the file in Pages '09 and delete Pages 5. Now everything is back to normal and you can continue using '09 until the feature set is restored.

I'm hoping people will continue to explore and verify this, but I've tried it myself and a few others have verified its validity. I started a thread yesterday but it quickly got buried in the swathes of complaints.

robogobo wrote:

Great! Hopefully this means everyone can get back to their old files and continue working in '09 until the feature set is restored to 5.0. Now we can all stop clamoring about Apple intentionally damaging users' work. I was 1000% sure that wasn't the case. After "Save As" was depricated, Autosave and Version History are part of a normal workflow (except for those who rejected the whole idea of auto save - but Apple didn't), which explains why files were not explicitly duplicated with the upgrade and no warning was issued.

Does this work for you, Peter? If so I hope you can see the value of actually using the product before jumping on the bashing bandwagon.

Karabuni wrote:

Seems to work - I've unplugged the external disk as well as turning off Time Machine. Old versions are there, and not only that, when the restored file is loaded into 5, it looks the same as it did in 4.3., whereas if just the latest one is opened, layout is, er, not right.

The "unrestored" file has layout errors, whereas, the "restored" one still looks OK when reopened, even after making a few changes. This might not be the case if a "removed" feature has been used, such as linked text boxes - they are there but not linked.

You will not be able to open this file in 4.3 if you make changes, as robogobo also said.

So, are the earlier versions inside the new one? Word docs have all sorts of old stuff inside if you open them in BBEdit, especially if the author has used an earlier letter to someone else as a template, and altered the text. Having looked at a 4.3 xml file there isn't any changed/deleted text or other obvious stored changes. So they must be somewhere else, I suppose.

The 5 files are zipped .iwa, and I haven't found anything that the system will allow to open them (unidentified developer).

robogobo wrote:

Could someone please verify this? Basically it would mean the transition from 4.3 to 5 is at least non destructive and we're dealing with a loss of features here but no data loss.

robogobo wrote:

Browse All Versions:

Now I hadn't tried this before, but it was on my todo list. When I first noticed problems with files opened in Pages 5.0, I was simply restoring files from Time Machine in order to get back to the original version for 4.3, thinking it was necessary for version history. But correct me if I'm wrong, Time Machine isn't necessary for browsing documents version history. Is that right? I just tested it and it seems to work with my Time Machine disk disconnected. Can someone verify this?

I just opened an old 4.3 document in 5.0, made some changes, saved and closed it. Then I tried to open it in 4.3 and of course it wouldnt open. So I opened it again in 5.0, went to File > Revert to > Browse All Versions and it opened up the interface, which looks like Time Machine (I always assumed it was) but I think it's not. Anyway, I went back to the old version, hit restore and then closed it without saving. I can now open it again in 4.3 in its original state!

Did everyone already know this? If it's true, then there isn't any permanent damage being done, and everything can be reverted to originals from within5.0. I think this is great news.

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 4:40 AM

7 replies

Oct 29, 2013 5:32 AM in response to robogobo

This is a nice trick, but only works for a few prior versions. While this was successful for documents that were only opened once or twice in Pages 5, it doesn't necessarily work for documents saved several times. For instance, I tried this trick on a document that had been saved 6 times since installing Pages 5, and none of the Pages 4 (i.e., iWork '09) versions were selectable in the "TimeMachine"-like version browser. Perhaps if I plug in the TimeMachine hard drive I will be able to see these earlier versions. I'll have to give that a try.

Oct 29, 2013 5:52 AM in response to robogobo

If you upgraded directly from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, and never had Versions in Pages 4, can you still revert to the oldest version in Pges 5 and get a Pages 4 document?

At any rate, data loss is only a problem if you have opened the only copy of a document with a new, untried application, and in that case, you are acting as though it isn't a very important document, anyway.

Oct 29, 2013 6:24 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Jeff Shenk wrote:

If you upgraded directly from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, and never had Versions in Pages 4, can you still revert to the oldest version in Pges 5 and get a Pages 4 document?

The documents brough into Mavericks from Snow Leopard should still be considered the original versions before they're opened in Pages 5, so I think it would work. Probably best to open them in 4.3 on Mavericks first though, to be safe.

At any rate, data loss is only a problem if you have opened the only copy of a document with a new, untried application, and in that case, you are acting as though it isn't a very important document, anyway.

Couldn't agree more.

Oct 29, 2013 6:39 AM in response to DChord568

Sorry for trying to help! I should just jump on the whining bandwagon instead.

DChord568 wrote:

This is useful information, but what you're doing here is still tantamount to giving Apple a free pass for what amounts to a massive F-up and failure to communicate.

It shouldn't be on the user to jump through a big series of hoops like this to make up for Apple's malfeasance.

Oct 29, 2013 6:52 AM in response to robogobo

I'd just like to remind everyone, if you haven't learned this lesson before, you can be thankful to learn it now - never jump into any software update without thorough testing if your files and data are mission-critical. NEVER. This kind of stuff happens all the time with software from every developer, especially the big ones who are concurrently writing cross-compatible applications. All of them - Microsoft, Adobe, Google (especially Google) - have wonky x.0 releases.

Always test. Always backup. Nobody is perfect.

Feb 22, 2014 10:35 PM in response to robogobo

Hope you employ a food taster when you dine out robo.

Anyone who has read your excuses and has copped it in the neck from Apple will be severely tempted!

btw I haven't hunted this out deliberately, just came across it as I hunt out solutions for users who were naïve enough to use Apple's deliberately impenetrable Pages 5 file formats…

…and ended up with the inevitable unopenable file.

Peter

There is no Data Loss!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.