Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks Spell checking in Safari not offering correct spelling

Since upgrading to Mavericks, spell checking in Safari has quite offering suggestions for misspelled words. It notes that they are misspelled with the red underline but when I right click on the word, there are no suggestions. This is happening with simple misspellings like sppell and ttest.

I have Check Spelling while Typing & Check Spelling & Grammar turned on and Correct Spelling automatically turned off.

I am getting spelling suggestions in other parts of the interface.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPad 2 and iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 5:20 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2015 4:51 AM in response to sesweitzer

My problem is that when i type "i" it doesnt auto correct to "I". I've tried adding new entries for ive, ill, im id, and this sometimes works in Office for MAcs WORD and MAIL but eg. here, it doesntI What's worse, Auto Correct, Text, doesnt allow you to add one single letter with a space after it (i ) so im snookered. I can't tell you how off-putting it is to see the basic word i coming out incorrectly! Any ideas anyone please?

Sep 2, 2015 4:51 AM in response to sesweitzer

Anyone else have this problem? I cant believe there are just 2 people affected. I know its not my iMac as its happening on my MBP too, though the iphone 4S is fine!??

😠

Dec 10, 2013 5:30 AM in response to sesweitzer

In my case, the problem was caused by a program called Spell Catcher. It has been a great friend for years and provides many usefull tools in addition to spell checking but it appears it's days of usefullness have come to an end. I received this note from them:

"

Spell Catcher X version 10.4.1 is compatible with Mac OS X 10.5, or Mac OS X 10.6, or Mac OS X 10.7 running on Intel Macintosh Hardware. Spell Catcher X and Spell Catcher X Lite for Mac OS X have not been updated for Mac OS 10.8, Mountain Lion.

Spell Catcher Plus 3.0. is compatible with Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, XP, Vista.

Spell Catcher sales, licensing and basic product technical support is available, your support request will be answered. Please note that advanced technical support for Spell Catcher X and Spell Catcher Plus is limited due to the passing of Author and Developer of Spell Catcher X, Evan Michael Gross in June, 2012 and the retirement of Author and Developer of Spell Catcher Plus 3.0, John Tytler."

I just installed a program called TextExpander from the App store and it's filling most of my non-spelling needs.

Hope this helps.

Mavericks Spell checking in Safari not offering correct spelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.