Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Dragon Dictate App Curtailed in New OS 7?

In the prior iPhone OS, Dragon dictation was linked with emails and memos and was very useful. Now those features are curtailed. Dragon is also now located in the Photography folder so it is more hidden.

My questions:

1. Is there a way to re-enable dictation directly into email and messaging?

2. Is there a way to move the Dragon app's icon onto the desktop of the iPhone instead of hiding it in Photography, which requires an extra click to access it?

3. Did Apple change its contractual relationship with Dragon and sideline this useful app and feature to retain control of their iPhone environment?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 5:50 AM

No 2.

Press and hold icon till it wiggles, drag it out of the folder.

Press Home button when finished

10 replies

Oct 29, 2013 6:03 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

"What features does/did Dragon Dictation have that are not now built in to the iOS? Perhaps if you explain what you're trying to accomplish, someone here can give you some direction."

When I wrote that I want to be able to dictate directly into emails and messages, I explained what I am trying to accomplish quite clearly. The dictate icon does not appear in emails or messages I'm drafting. "Upgrading" to the new operating system eliminated functionality with no explanation on how to replace what was lost.

Oct 29, 2013 6:31 AM in response to drgaryse

Speech to text is most certainly available in Mail and Messages, hence my question. I use it regularly for texting and not infrequently for email. If you're not seeing it, then there's something that needs to be fixed. Are you saying that there is no microphone next to the space bar on the keyboard? Do you have Siri enabled? Settings>General>Siri?

Just for kicks, I downloaded Dragon Dictation. I can dictate (although it doesn't recognize my speech as well as the built in), tap the share button and tap email and it instantly creates a new email with my text. Same thing with Messages.

Best of luck.

Oct 29, 2013 7:02 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

"Not sure which part of it solved your problem but, whatever it was, I'm glad it did."

Is this confusion or another comment that my original questions were unclear?

You've told me how to re-enable dictation in email and messaging. Question 1 solved. You've explained how to launch Dragon and how it works. You've gone further and compared Dragon and the built-in feature. These address my overall concern that Dragon seems to have been sidelined and I thought I'd lost easy dictation functionality.

Why is Dragon Dictate App Curtailed in New OS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.