Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How should I move all of my Final Cut Pro files to an external drive?

My MacBook Pro doesn't have enough space to hold all of my Final Cut Pro X files (my internal hard drive is only 120GB), and I bought an external hard drive that has 120GB capacity too but want to move all of my FCP files to that drive. What exactly should I be moving? Do I move the application itself? And how do I tell FCP where to find all of my media? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, I'm relatively new to Macs.

Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 6:23 AM

4 replies

Oct 29, 2013 6:33 AM in response to ktmay2

The application remains in the Applications folder.

The best way is to copy the projects by duplicating them to the new drive. Do that from inside the application. Duplicate the projects with all referenced events. When all the projects and media have been copied and are working correctly then you can delete them from your internal drive.

Caution: make sure the media is actually in the events you're duplicating. If not, use the organize events function, or you will lose the media.

How should I move all of my Final Cut Pro files to an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.