Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain passwords broken after setting up a SSH key

I am a web developer running Coda 2.0.11 on OSX 10.8.5 (not Mavericks yet), and I recently set up a site to use public/private RSA SSH keys with Media Temple. Getting that to work was a pain, but it works well.

For the unfamiliar, you create a key pair with Terminal – one is private, one is public. You set the public key up on the server, and configure an App like Coda to use the private key to authenticate the SFTP connection. The two keys also share a password, and Coda stores that password in the Keychain as well.

The problem:

That site (with the key pairs) is now the only one I can connect to. I have 40 or more sites that mostly use SFTP (some use FTP) and I save the passwords with each of the site connection settings. Coda uses the Mac Keychain to store the passwords. Some of the sites show a saved password, some don't. Either way, if I enter the passwords again, Coda tells me that the username and password were rejected by the server.

There are a handful of sites that I can still connect to with Transmit (another Panic product), but even some of those no longer work when I KNOW the username/password combination is correct. Similarly, I can not connect to sites using Navicat (for MySQL database management, not a Panic product) and I know I was able to connect up until very recently, which makes me think this is a Keychain issue.

The sites that I can not connect to are on Media Temple, Modwest, Dreamhost, and another local hosting company, so that rules out an issue with the hosting provider.

I ran Keychain First Aid and even Repaired Disk Permissions with the Disk Utility with no improvement.

Short of scrapping my keychain and starting over again, does anyone out there have any advice or is there a Coda bug at work in here somewhere?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 8:17 AM

A more tech-minded friend of mine reminded me that I also created a 'config' file inside the ~/.ssh directory to point to the new key that I created. The tutorial online on how to do this neglected to mention that the new config settings need to be scoped to the one site you need it for, otherwise all other keychain users will be pointed at the same settings...

So while the content of my config file were this:

HostName www.sample.com

User username

IdentityFile ~/.ssh/key_name

Port 2222

It should be scoped to one site. Simply adding an additional parameter and indenting the settings below that did the trick.

Host uniquename

HostName www.sample.com

User username

Port 2222

So I will leave this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2013 8:17 AM in response to ArtInRuins

A more tech-minded friend of mine reminded me that I also created a 'config' file inside the ~/.ssh directory to point to the new key that I created. The tutorial online on how to do this neglected to mention that the new config settings need to be scoped to the one site you need it for, otherwise all other keychain users will be pointed at the same settings...

So while the content of my config file were this:

HostName www.sample.com

User username

Port 2222

It should be scoped to one site. Simply adding an additional parameter and indenting the settings below that did the trick.

Host uniquename

HostName www.sample.com

User username

Port 2222

So I will leave this here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

Keychain passwords broken after setting up a SSH key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.