Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up recurring events in iCal on OS X Mavericks?

I've just downloaded Mavericks and in iCal, recurring setting option is no longer there. This was a very convienent feature. Any help would be awesome!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 10:24 AM

It's still there.

Add a new event, click on Add Alert or Repeat, then choose Repeat parameters from the dropdown...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

16 replies

Jan 28, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Tuttle

I beg to differ with Tuttle. Calendar under OSX has been changed (broken).

If you create a new event under Calendar in Mavericks 10.9.1 - Using the month display and double clicking on the day window, an info box pops-up.

There is no mechanism to "add an alert' -- the only options are "Add Invitees" in one group then Add Notes, Add Attachment... and Add URL. Option/Alt/Ctl have no effect on the info box display.

Another problem -- If you right-click on the event IN the day window, an option to "duplicate" the event pops-up, but that event created appears in that same date and time with no option to provide a new date and time.

The only way to get the Repeat option is to use IOS. It does appear with my iPad Air (7.0.4) or my iPhone 3Gs - 6.1.3 both do have the full set of options in Editing.

Jan 29, 2014 8:47 AM in response to William H. Magill1

If you create a new event under Calendar in Mavericks 10.9.1 - Using the month display and double clicking on the day window, an info box pops-up.

So far, so good...

User uploaded file

There is no mechanism to "add an alert' -- the only options are "Add Invitees" in one group then Add Notes, Add Attachment... and Add URL.

This is where you lost me...

User uploaded file

because, as is plain to see, there is an option to add an Alert, just as there was in my screen shots from 10.9 above.

Another problem -- If you right-click on the event IN the day window, an option to "duplicate" the event pops-up, but that event created appears in that same date and time with no option to provide a new date and time.

Instead of choosing "Duplicate," choose Get Info. This will open an Info window in the upper left...

User uploaded file

Click on the date in that Info window...

User uploaded file

and when the Date field expands (gray area, below), click on the date again, and you will be able to change the date and time of the event...

User uploaded file

You're welcome in advance!

Jan 29, 2014 9:04 AM in response to Tuttle

The "culpret" is the fact that I have a "default" alert setup.

After some additonal exploration (your second explanation about the "grey box" led me to it -- the answer is --

1- there is no "add alert" line (it's already there)

However

2- if you click on the Date field in that info window, in the Grey box which expands, one can add the repeat and alert information.

... something about "it's all intuitive"

Aug 10, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the reply. OK, so Csound1 is correct ... sort of. After closing and reopening the app, the full event display came up and I was able to edit the recurring event on the first try. So I stand corrected. But this morning, after having the app open for a few days, this did not work--only a partial display comes up or it said it could only change one day but not the series. So now I'm just convinced that the app is unreliable and gets corrupted over time. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I edit the events the same way every time, and the only time it worked was right after reopening the Calendar app. I'll report back if the problem reoccurs and I have more specifics.

Oct 13, 2014 5:08 PM in response to rrc326

I have been struggling with this as well with Mavericks. The option is there when creating a new event. But, I couldn't figure out why the option wasn't there on an existing event. I have all of my bills listed on Calendar. When I set them up, I entered the Repeat info. When I get the bill, I edit the event by adding the amount to be paid. When the bill is paid, I add an asterisk. But, when I click on the edited event, the repeat option is not there. When I go to the same event on the next repeat date (next month), BEFORE editing the event, the Repeat option is there. It doesn't look like you can change the repeat on an event that has been edited?

How to set up recurring events in iCal on OS X Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.