Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15" Keeps Randomly Shutting Down. Help?

Hi all,

Recently I've had a problem with my Macbook Pro just randomly shutting off and restarting. The tasks I'm doing varies every time this happens. Sometimes it's when I'm just surfing the internet and other times it's when I'm using Adobe products such as InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. It especially likes to shut down when using those three programs. This has also happened before I upgraded to Mavericks.

I have no idea what to do and it's starting to do it more often. It doesn't matter if my charger is plugged in or not. This is also causing me to have problems with my Adobe products and causing them to quit unexpectedly. Can someone help?

I have my report saved on my computer if anyone needs to look at it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 9:43 AM

3 replies

Jan 11, 2015 7:12 PM in response to vixyfox

I am having this problem as well. Recently I purchased Quicken for Mac with the intention of doing away with Parallels and Windows. I'm not certain but this may be a mistake for numerous reasons. First, I believe this is when the random shutoffs began. Second, Quicken for Mac is probably the worst program I have ever used. Ever. Has anyone else experienced random shutoffs after installing Quicken for Mac? I did take a screenshot of the message the last time it shut off. Yesterday, for example, it shut off three times. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in Safari, Quicken, Excel or Word. My MacBook Pro was purchased around 2008. Is it time to replace it? How do I know when it's time to replace it?

Apr 18, 2016 9:00 AM in response to vixyfox

I had this same issue. My computer would run for about 5-10 minutes and then the cursor would freeze. A few seconds later my computer would either shut down completely or reboot. I would get no error messages. This would even happen on the login screen when I wasn't using it.

I found the problem was my Fitbit dongle which I left in a USB port. Once I removed it, I no longer had this issue. However, recently I needed to reinstall a new Fitbit device which requires using the dongle. I plugged it back in, linked up my new Fitbit tracker and promptly removed the dongle. Unfortunately, this time my computer started rebooting/shutting down even with the dongle removed. The only other external device I was using was my external hard drive. Sure enough when I unmounted the device, my computer stopped rebooting/shutting down.

That said, double check if you still have the issue once all external devices are removed. I'm assuming this is an Apple issue and not a Fitbit issue, but let us know if you also use a Fitbit! That will help determine who's to blame.

Macbook Pro 15" Keeps Randomly Shutting Down. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.