Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv doesn't work after upgrade

I have the 2nd gen apple tv. Last evening I attempted an upgrade, after it completed the download the screen went black and apple tv light went off. Waited for 1/2 hour nothing happened. Today I checked to see if it worked and it is showing the device with a usb cable going to itunes on my tv screen. After reading here, apparently it is a failed upgrade. How do I reset my apple tv to factory settings? I do not have a micro usb cable. I have tried pressing menu and down arrow, nothing. I also tried unplugging and waiting a few seconds to plug back in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😕

Thanks, Mary

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 10:31 AM

You will need to get the USB cable. You have to connect it directly to a computer with iTunes to restore the firmware at this point.

2 replies

Oct 30, 2013 2:23 AM in response to Brian Cook4

Thanks Brian,

Perhaps after reading how often this occurs with updates, apple would supply a micro usb cable with their Apple TV 😉 Went through all my cables, lots of minis but no micros. By the way, will I need to connect the Apple TV to power when I connect to my computer? Just thought of that, hopefully not since my power cord is a bit difficult to get at. It is being threaded through my entertainment center .

apple tv doesn't work after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.