Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal appointments showing wrong time

I recently upgraded to OS 10.9 Mavericks and today I noticed that new iCal appointments coming in from WebEx are showing up 1 hour later than they should. It's almost like it thinks I'm in a different TZ or my PST/PDT calculation is off. I've double checked this and it's consistent. Here is a snapshot:

User uploaded file

Has anyone else seen this? Is the problem wi

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 11:39 AM

45 replies

Oct 29, 2013 11:47 AM in response to chip.r

Here is what the iCal looks like (with slight editing for privacy):

BEGIN:VCALENDAR

PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook 12.0 MIMEDIR//EN

VERSION:2.0

METHOD:REQUEST

BEGIN:VTIMEZONE

TZID:Pacific

BEGIN:STANDARD

DTSTART:20001105T020000

RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11;BYHOUR=2

TZOFFSETFROM:-0700

TZOFFSETTO:-0800

TZNAME:Standard Time

END:STANDARD

BEGIN:DAYLIGHT

DTSTART:20000312T020000

RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3;BYHOUR=2

TZOFFSETFROM:-0800

TZOFFSETTO:-0700

TZNAME:Daylight Savings Time

END:DAYLIGHT

END:VTIMEZONE

BEGIN:VEVENT

CLASS:PUBLIC

UID:<snip>

DTSTAMP:20131029T182028Z

SUMMARY:Brandle

PRIORITY:5

SEQUENCE:<snip>

TRANSP:OPAQUE

ORGANIZER:MAILTO:admin@webex.com

ATTENDEE;ROLE=CHAIR;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;CN="admin@webex.com";RSVP=FALSE:mailto:<snip>

DTSTART;TZID="Pacific":20131030T110000

DTEND;TZID="Pacific":20131030T120000

DESCRIPTION: <snip>

BEGIN:VALARM

ACTION:DISPLAY

DESCRIPTION:REMINDER

TRIGGER:-PT900S

END:VALARM

END:VEVENT

END:VCALENDAR

Mar 24, 2014 2:55 PM in response to chip.r

I just ran a test with my colleagues. Some have the meeting show up at the right time in the calendar view and others do not. I cannot find a Date and Time setttings or Calendar settings or version of OS that is a common denominator.

The way the attached image is showing, it appears that Calendar thinks the meeting was set during PST (11:30 am), not PDT (12:30).

User uploaded file

Looking at my WebEx settings, it also says that the timezone is "Pacific Daylight Time" (like my computer):

User uploaded file

BEGIN:VCALENDAR

PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook 12.0 MIMEDIR//EN

VERSION:2.0

METHOD:REQUEST

BEGIN:VTIMEZONE

TZID:Pacific

BEGIN:STANDARD

DTSTART:20001105T020000

RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11;BYHOUR=2

TZOFFSETFROM:-0700

TZOFFSETTO:-0800

TZNAME:Standard Time

END:STANDARD

BEGIN:DAYLIGHT

DTSTART:20000312T020000

RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3;BYHOUR=2

TZOFFSETFROM:-0800

TZOFFSETTO:-0700

TZNAME:Daylight Savings Time

END:DAYLIGHT

END:VTIMEZONE

BEGIN:VEVENT

CLASS:PUBLIC

UID:M3I8E2B71RMHY03P8YZA4V1HJE-1QRR

DTSTAMP:20140324T210255Z

SUMMARY:Testing 1,2,3...

PRIORITY:5

SEQUENCE:1026836833

TRANSP:OPAQUE

ORGANIZER:MAILTO:admin@webex.com

ATTENDEE;ROLE=CHAIR;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;CN="admin@webex.com";RSVP=FALSE:mailto:

Mar 25, 2014 5:19 PM in response to chip.r

I have this same issue with WebEx meeting invites showing up wrong in iCal. On other calendar programs the same WebEx invites are set to the correct times. The problem is definitely related to the recent switch from Standard time to Daylight Savings time. iCal does not switch the invite to Daylight Savings time and instead still interprets it as being at Standard time (thus the one hour difference in the time on your calendar).

After looking at the text of the WebEx invites and invite files from other meetings, I found you can manually fix invites by editing the .ics files.

If you remove ";BYHOUR=2" from the two RRULE lines in invite files (similar to the two RRULE lines in the above invite text example), the invite will show up in iCal correctly and it still shows up correctly on other calendar programs too. Perhaps iCal handles this argument incorrectly or maybe WebEx is not using it correctly, but since these invites appear correctly in other calendar programs, I think the problem lies with iCal.

You can test this by opening the invite (.ics) files in TextEdit, then removing this setting in the two locations, and then using Save... to resave your invite file. Make sure to keep a .ics file extension. Opening the invite in iCal should allow it to show up correctly.

Apr 12, 2014 9:33 AM in response to chip.r

"The way the attached image is showing, it appears that Calendar thinks the meeting was set during PST (11:30 am), not PDT (12:30)."

I have this same problem and after extensive testing I can confirm that it is indeed something to do with handing of daylight saving time. Apple works OK with itself. Webex works OK with Windows. However, Apple misbehaves when interpreting a Webex invite.

Apr 22, 2014 9:51 AM in response to chip.r

This is happening with invitations generated by Lotus Notes as well. Calendar is interpreting the invite time as EST instead of EDT, setting all of the times back by an hour. Google Calendar and Thunderbird properly interpret the .ics.

Oddly enough, despite being in EDT, the event shows the EST time in parentheses, as if there is an additional, concurrent time zone. That makes sense if Calendar supports parallel universes, but my vote would be to get time zones working properly first.

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2014 8:32 AM in response to JMC-88

I went to the Apple Genius bar the other day and found no resolution. We tested bringing in a WebEx meeting on my Apple calendar which loaded at the wrong time. We then brought the .ics file in a version of Outlook he had on his Mac where it worked properly.

The person who helped me was very knowledgable and he ruled this as an official bug with the Apple Calendar. His only suggestion was hoping a near future software update would fix this issue. Hard to work this way.

If you find something, please let me know.

iCal appointments showing wrong time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.