Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone please provide some urgent advice.

Right, so basically I returned home on Sunday night with a dead iphone 5, I put it on charge as I was going to sleep. Around 15 mins after putting my head down I smelt something weird so I got up and looked around to find that my iPhone's charger was not charging and the wire was very, very hot and kind of melting with lots of smoke.. Had I fallen asleep this could of progressively got worse and could of potentially caused a fire.

Now I went out this afternoon and bought a new genuine iphone 5 charger and put my phone on charge when I got home, now it seems what ever happened with the previous charger has broken my phones battery, I left the house to go to work on 89% battery and 2 hours into my shift it has jumped HUGELY from 89% right down to 26% baring in mind I never have apps open they're always 'killed' when not using, I never have Bluetooth wifi or anything similar running whilst not using, when I'm not home I always have the brightness turned as far down as it can to save battery life.. Now what makes this worse is I had only used my phone once in the 2 hours and that was on my break, I had gone onto Facebook and literally watched it jump down from 89% to 54% then down to 26%.

Yes the phone is still under warranty, however it is my business phone meaning it has been dropped, bumped and scraped a few times (also the glass on the back of the phone, bottom half, is smashed) iv not once had any issue with the phone up until this happened on Sunday night. Anyway back to the point, I fear if I return it to the apple store and explain to them exactly what has happened that they will not exchange or help me in any way due to the cosmetic damage and request I pay a stupid sum of money to get it fixed, which I have seen happen to friends and family for other issues. At this time of year I can't afford to pull out that kind of money it's impossible with Christmas around the corner.

Can anyone please shed some light with my matter and possibly help me?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 12:53 PM

10 replies

Oct 29, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Slipmatt92

Slipmatt92 wrote:

Yes the phone is still under warranty, however it is my business phone meaning it has been dropped, bumped and scraped a few times (also the glass on the back of the phone, bottom half, is smashed)

Sorry to tell you this, but no... it is NOT under warranty. The physical damage to the phone voided the warranty.

The damage is not cosmetic. Something internal has been damages. It is entirely possible that the reason the charger fried itself is because of a short in the phone feeding power back through the cable.

Man up. You broke it.

Oct 29, 2013 2:16 PM in response to KiltedTim

Firstly, congratulations on your excellent communication and people skills your parents must be proud.

And yes I am aware it's internal damage. The external damage to my phone happened around 4 month ago and have never caused any problems so why would it now?

And yes your probably right the cable did possibly back the current on itself which in return has broken the battery but please do explain how THAT would be my fault? A plug and cable supplied with my phone is not my fault in any way, everyone knows these lightening cables have so many problems it is actually unreal, one being the cables 'fraying' sometimes leaving the wire itself exposed which happened to my cable matter of fact.

Oct 29, 2013 2:22 PM in response to Slipmatt92

Slipmatt92 wrote:

Firstly, congratulations on your excellent communication and people skills your parents must be proud.

Congratulations on confirming that you're an ungratefull troll.

And yes I am aware it's internal damage. The external damage to my phone happened around 4 month ago and have never caused any problems so why would it now?

Why would it now? Because you've continued to carry it around, exposing it to the shocks and hazards of daily use that would not normally affect an undamaged phone, but will slowly aggravate the small cracks, breaks and loose bits inside one that's been abused.

And yes your probably right the cable did possibly back the current on itself which in return has broken the battery but please do explain how THAT would be my fault? A plug and cable supplied with my phone is not my fault in any way, everyone knows these lightening cables have so many problems it is actually unreal, one being the cables 'fraying' sometimes leaving the wire itself exposed which happened to my cable matter of fact.

"Fault" doesn't enter into it. What enters into it is the fact that the warranty was voided by the damaged caused by the abuse to the phone. If your cable was frayed, why didn't you bother getting it replaced under warranty? Would you use a lamp with a frayed cord?

You voided the warranty when you broke the phone. Don't like it? Then go buy something else. See how far that gets you when you break that one, then expect the manufacturer to fix it for free.

Oct 29, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Slipmatt92

Hi there, this does seem to be a problem for you! You did mention you are in the UK (so am I), I am not sure if you heard but there have been some 'dodgy' chargers illegally being sold in the UK for iPhones and apparently, if used, will or potentially can, harm your device. Have you bought any chargers not directly through Apple, if so then I think your phone has been permanently damaged and you may need to get a new one. If however you bought the charger through Apple or it was the stock one provided in the box then I think Apple would be happy to help you!

Hope this has helped you!

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! :)

Can someone please provide some urgent advice.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.