Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: No sound on my iMac

I have just installed Mavericks and have the same "no sound" problem.

When I put in either a speaker jack or a headphone jack the sound output option in "Sounds" changes automatically to external headphones but no sound comes through while the device is plugged in. When I take it out the statement automaically reverts to internal speakers and the sound comes on again.

Is there anything I can do apart from taking it to the brilliant guys at my local Apple store please?

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 8:30 AM

2 replies

May 4, 2014 4:22 PM in response to Lawrence264

After giving up... I thought back and remembered I had used some La Cie FW speakers recently, they are not supportd and can be goofy when using on new OS

Well, I plugged them back in, had to use my exterior HD for FW of course since new iMac doesn’t have the older interface

After I plugged them in should returned. I went to settings and saw the La Cie speakers were still ON even though the sound ouput did not show them when disconnected. Plugging back in I could go to system speakers and it now all works.

Plug in your speakers etc... thene deselect anything that shows up

Close it up, remove the old stuff and hope for the same

Jan 19, 2016 2:43 AM in response to Lawrence264

OK, this gets even stranger...I am using the iMAC as my DAW running PreSonus Studio One 3. I have the internal speakers silenced and am routing sound to an external sound monitoring system, via USB. I hear the output from the iMAC of the StudioOne recordings perfectly. But, when I save these as a mix to either .wav or iTunes+ format, it defaults to iTunes, loads the song, plays and no sound comes out. So this seems like an issue with iTunes, not my setup. And these used to play on iTunes and also from the recording app, no problem. Now, suddenly, there is no audio output from iTunes, regardless of any selection made. Any ideas, anyone?

Mahalo.

http://patdahat.com

OSX El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50)

3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

Re: No sound on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.