Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get label colors back on Maverick?

I realize "tabs" took it's place but all my business files are predicated on a carefully organized color file system. This was an awful decision for some of us. Any new apps to fill the void?

Message was edited by: herbert17

Message was edited by: herbert17 OS Mavericks

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iOS 7.0.3, OS is Mavericks not 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 1:38 PM

312 replies

Oct 29, 2013 2:25 PM in response to herbert17

How were you using Labels that tags won't do the job? One obvious difference is that unlike labels which colored the entire icon and text area, tags only put a dot of color in the Tag column of list view and a small dot in front of file names in icon view. But other than that, I don't see that tags do anything more than improve on labels since a file could have only one label but can have multiple tags.

Oct 29, 2013 2:33 PM in response to dwb

This change has really thrown me for a loop and slowed me down in the Finder. It may be difficult to understand unless you rely on colored labels as quick visual reference, as I have done for years.

The tiny dots are not as "glancable" as colored hilghts across the name of a file or folder. In list view, the dots are almost disassociated from the files names being so far from them. What used to be a single glance at colored stripes, is now a shifting of eyes back and forth, switching from reading to color recognition, to reading to verify, to checking the colors again.

It sound whiney to complain about such a seemingly small thing, but I am quite surprised myself to find out how much I relied on hilighted file names, and what a different cognitive exercise is has become now.

Yes, there are lots of alternative ways to find and manage files, but none as easy and glancibly quick as hilighted file names.

Oct 31, 2013 11:26 PM in response to herbert17

I need these color labels to visually and intellectually distinguish my active files in finder. I am hobbled without the full color labels because of a visual disability combined with a cognitive impairment I suffer. The removal of the full label color feature has damaged my ability to do business and diminished my ability to function with my disabilities.

Apple, like all software companies, is legally obligated to provide me with reasonable accommodation for that disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act ("ADA"). Restore the full color labels now, please, as they existed prior to 10.9. You can still have tags. You can still have color labels for file names. These things are not mutually exclusive. It is not unreasonable to ask that you continue to make reasonable, and legally required, accommodations under the ADA for folks with limited visual ability and/or cognitive disabilities by restoring existing features that have been relied upon for a significant time by people like me. This change has harmed my business and my ability to work.

Nov 1, 2013 6:55 AM in response to herbert17

Jumberbunch wrote:

Well looks like "Path Finder 6 by Cocoatech" (google it) gives you all the old funtionality and more.

Might be a good workaround for you guys who rely heavily on a labeling system rather than a tag one until there's an official change or not.

Jumberbunch found one existing solution called Path Finder. You can find his post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5474093?answerId=23621556022#23621556022&ac_cid=tw123456#23621556

Nov 1, 2013 10:59 AM in response to yrrab446

Hi Yrrab,

I think Apple needs to see what you wrote there. Apple doesn't read these forums but they do read feedback you send here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Also, as Tracey said, there's a third party app called PathFinder which adds this feature back. There's another similar app called TotalFinder which may also support this in future if the developer gets enough feedback to let them know this is something we want.

yrrab446 wrote:

I need these color labels to visually and intellectually distinguish my active files in finder. I am hobbled without the full color labels because of a visual disability combined with a cognitive impairment I suffer. The removal of the full label color feature has damaged my ability to do business and diminished my ability to function with my disabilities.

Apple, like all software companies, is legally obligated to provide me with reasonable accommodation for that disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act ("ADA"). Restore the full color labels now, please, as they existed prior to 10.9. You can still have tags. You can still have color labels for file names. These things are not mutually exclusive. It is not unreasonable to ask that you continue to make reasonable, and legally required, accommodations under the ADA for folks with limited visual ability and/or cognitive disabilities by restoring existing features that have been relied upon for a significant time by people like me. This change has harmed my business and my ability to work.

How to get label colors back on Maverick?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.