Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know how to separate a movie track from an audio track on the new Mavericks Garage band. It used to be very easy on the iLife 11 version. If anyone could respond ASAP I'd be grateful. I need to make an audio file from a video.

I urgently need to make some audio tracks from videos using the new 2013 GarageBand. In iLife11 Garageband, this was very easy. However, I cannot see how to do it in the new one. The alternative might be to revert to the iLife11 version, so does anyone know how to do this. It's extremely urgent since I need to produce these for a court custody hearing which will take place at 0800 GMT UK time on 31st October 2013. Please help.

Thank you.

NEW 2013 GARAGEBAND MAVERICKS-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:07 PM

When you drag a movie from the Media Browser to the Time lIne in GarageBand, you will see a pop-up "Extracting Audio".

User uploaded file

The Movie and the audio file will appear in separate tracks. You can copy the audio region from the sound track to a different track to keep it safe and then hide the Movie track.

User uploaded file

Léonie

3 replies

Oct 30, 2013 5:18 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Léonie,

It worked! It was just more obvious for the unitiated using the previous version, but I understand it now.

Just one more thing if you don't mind. How do you start a new project which just involves bringing in the movie from iMovie? It always comes up as new project and then takes me to several instrument choices.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Oct 30, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Tiger knows best!

You are welcome, Peter. 🙂

I found no way so far, to create a really empty project.

Start with the template "Empty Project", and when the instrument selection appears, select "Audio - Microphone or line input".

Once you imported the movie, you can move the movie's audio to that track or delete the additional track.

GarageBand is trying to be too helpful. You must have at least one track to begin with.

Léonie

Does anyone know how to separate a movie track from an audio track on the new Mavericks Garage band. It used to be very easy on the iLife 11 version. If anyone could respond ASAP I'd be grateful. I need to make an audio file from a video.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.